YO GEORGIANS! :)

Welcome to BYC!  I've been there myself and still am at the moment.  I had two girls that loved to roost in the trees as opposed to in the coop.  I had two girls that preferred to sleep behind the coop on the ground.  I broke those habits by putting them in every night.

And now I have 5 girls who would rather sleep on top of the coop just to make sure I have extra cleaning to do.  Apparently, with all my current critters, I don't have enough to do according to them.

Continue putting them up and eventually, they'll get it.  We use the term bird-brains for a reason.  lol!
hahaha yes I'm seeing the bird brain in this flock more than my past 2. I'll just keep putting them up I guess, glad to know its not just me lol

Hey yall, haven't been on here in awhile but we now have 10 chicks that arrived June 24!! They've been moved outside to the smaller coop for now but for some reason 9 have decided that sleeping on the ground at night is better than the coop. Only 1 goes in on her own. I end up having to go down there and put them in bed.. 10 nights in a row now. Any ideas as to why they aren't going in to the coop on their own?

When you put them in the coop for the first time, it is suggested that you keep them locked in there for 5 - 7 days. That way, they learn that 'this is home'. After that, they should always return to the 'home' to roost.

When you put them in the coop for the first time, it is suggested that you keep them locked in there for 5 - 7 days. That way, they learn that 'this is home'. After that, they should always return to the 'home' to roost.

Oh, and make sure it isn;t too hot in the coop. It needs to have lots of ventilation, summer and winter! I would rather sleep outside if the house is too hot!

I'm beginning to think that extra light brown egg is coming from one of the leghorns. I know they're SUPPOSED to lay white eggs, but for several days I'm seeing two leghorns on the nest at a time, but only getting 1 white egg, and that small real light brown egg is always in the nest I see the one leghorn in. It's easy to tell those apart, the white egg is coming from the smallest of the 3 leghorns.

I suppose it's possible she has a brown egg gene somewhere up the family tree, right?

I've gotten 4 eggs the last few days, 1 white, 2 brown and the extra 'light brown' egg......

I'm thinking about isolating the 3 leghorns and see what I get......guess I'd know for sure then huh

Last edited:

Thought I would share my two newest additions! Thanks Ross for the eggs and chick we adore them!
You're Welcome!!!!! Does that little black chick have a notch on its head???

They mix if they are together. Don't for one minute think the bantams hens are too small for those big roosters! The chicks just end up all different sizes.
Thats funny!!! I plan on mixing my bantam layers and full size layers.

Should I wash my Hens? Cause of the rain, all of their feet are muddy and dirty! and if so, how do I wash them?

I keep baby wipes on hand for that when I need something quick. Don't know if it's ok to use those or not, but they work alright if their feet arent too caked on dirty. Otherwise I like the idea of using the baby shampoo.

Hey Y'all,

I've been off working like a crazy, up in Canada visiting friends and family and building my chicken tractor (still needs wheels). Popping in with a few updates and toes crossed that when I turn the chickens in the tractor loose during the day to free range that they will actually come back at night. Sunday will be a week for all but one I added tonight.

Back
Top Bottom