YO GEORGIANS! :)

Oh wait, I asked that before....yes you can. But most people don't because the turkeys don't lay as many eggs as a chicken, so they aren't as available. And a lot of folks raising turkeys, save their eggs for hatching!

Ok, my new 'want list' for chicks next spring include:

One Silver Laced Polish
Another Black Copper Marans
Lavender Ameraucanas

I'm sure I will think there are more I need by then!

One Silver Laced Polish
Lavender Ameraucanas

There's someone in summerville who has lavendar ams on craigslist....

I guess i'll wait till spring to get a couple marans chicks, which means I won't have dark brown eggs for the easter basket... But oh well

Can you eat turkey eggs?

We used to growing up. They are huge and delicious. Lol $!!!!

One Silver Laced Polish
Lavender Ameraucanas

Well.....how many SLP would you like??? I breed those birds...as a matter of fact here they are free ranging today.

Should I wash my Hens? Cause of the rain, all of their feet are muddy and dirty! and if so, how do I wash them?

I bathe mine with baby shampoo. And dry them with a towel. I do that when they get super dirty. Lol!!!

Good morning! My husband and I have been stalking BYC for well over a year now, and I am finally setting up an account! We have found such great information here to help us get started with chickens.

My husband turned a used Rubbermaid-style shed into a coop (it's large - about 11x7?), and some chain-link fencing from an old dog run into a chicken run (approximately 12x24?). We safeguarded the bottom half of the chain-link with some sturdy cattle fencing, and covered the top of the run with two layers of bird netting. Half of the run is also covered with a heavy-duty tarp to protect from the heavy rain we get here.

We got six girls back in May of this year at about six weeks old from a reputable breeder, but one appears to actually be a roo!

Here is what we have:

Golden Laced Wyandotte (most likely a roo)
Buff Orpington
Black Astralorpe
Barred Rock
Light Brahma
Easter Egger

Nobody is laying yet, but we know it's going to be happening soon!

I have been checking out the threads, but it's so easy to get lost down the rabbit hole, lol! Here is my very first question (let me know if I should post this question elsewhere):

What can we expect with breeding if we decide to let some hatch, if/when that time comes?

Thanks so much!
~Mandy (transplanted to northern Georgia from SLC, UT in August of 2014)

Good morning! My husband and I have been stalking BYC for well over a year now, and I am finally setting up an account! We have found such great information here to help us get started with chickens.

My husband turned a used Rubbermaid-style shed into a coop (it's large - about 11x7?), and some chain-link fencing from an old dog run into a chicken run (approximately 12x24?). We safeguarded the bottom half of the chain-link with some sturdy cattle fencing, and covered the top of the run with two layers of bird netting. Half of the run is also covered with a heavy-duty tarp to protect from the heavy rain we get here.

We got six girls back in May of this year at about six weeks old from a reputable breeder, but one appears to actually be a roo!

Here is what we have:

Buff Orpington
Black Astralorpe
Barred Rock
Light Brahma
Easter Egger

I have been checking out the threads, but it's so easy to get lost down the rabbit hole, lol! Here is my very first question (let me know if I should post this question elsewhere):

What can we expect with breeding if we decide to let some hatch, if/when that time comes?

Thanks so much!
welcome-byc.gif
I don't know what you will get but they should look like some really nice crosses/mixed and momma will do all the work, may want to consider a separate pen for mom and the babies so she won't be so stress with the other birds around until they get a little older but she is a great protector, but someone else weigh in.

Here is what we have:

Buff Orpington
Black Astralorpe
Barred Rock
Light Brahma
Easter Egger

Thanks so much!
welcome aboard! we have quite a few regular posters that aren't all that far from you, Dawsonville, Ellijay, etc..........

sounds like a good set up you have, sounds like way plenty of room in the run, which is a good thing! I don't know much about the breeding/cross breeding. There are some here who play with that just TO see what they'll get! Are you planning on incubating, or are you hoping for a broody? I plan on incubating once I'm to the point of wanting to hatch some. Although, if one of em wants to go broody and raise them for me, I'd let her!

post away! as you can tell, we have a good time here for sure!

welcome-byc.gif
I don't know what you will get but they should look like some really nice crosses/mixed and momma will do all the work, may want to consider a separate pen for mom and the babies so she won't be so stress with the other birds around until they get a little older but she is a great protector, but someone else weigh in.
Thanks for your welcome and your input. I have read about separating a mama and her babies before. Definitely something to consider when the time comes!

welcome aboard! we have quite a few regular posters that aren't all that far from you, Dawsonville, Ellijay, etc..........

sounds like a good set up you have, sounds like way plenty of room in the run, which is a good thing! I don't know much about the breeding/cross breeding. There are some here who play with that just TO see what they'll get! Are you planning on incubating, or are you hoping for a broody? I plan on incubating once I'm to the point of wanting to hatch some. Although, if one of em wants to go broody and raise them for me, I'd let her!

post away! as you can tell, we have a good time here for sure!
Thank you for the welcome as well! I guess now that we have a rooster, I will hope for a broody at some point. I don't think we're ready to do an incubator and hand-raising them. :) We will see what the future holds!

Back
Top Bottom