YO GEORGIANS! :)

I'd love some tiny blue eggs, never thought of that, let me know!! I think the difference is Araucanas are pure bread and the Amer's are considered mutts

Flower.... Ameraucanas vs Araucanas. Other than one of them having "me" in their name, what's the difference? And do the bantams lay tiny little blue eggs?
Forgive me for barging in, I live in NC and read this thread now and then, but I just have to answer this. The bantams do lay little blue eggs. Araucanas and Ameraucanas are recognized by the APA and therefore purebred breeds. Araucanas are tailless and have tuffs on their cheeks. Ameraucanas have tails, muffs and beards and come in only specified colors. They both lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers are not recognized, therefore may be mutts, and come in any color or pattern. They lay almost any color egg including blue, green and brown in many different shades. A special kind of EE is the Olive Egger which ideally lays a dark olive egg. They're all fun to raise and some, like the OE can be quite a challenge. Hope this helps.
Kathleen

I am wanting to put a rooster in with my hens. Does anyone know of a good place to get a cream legbar rooster? My girls are about 10 months old. Should I try to get a rooster around that age or a little older? Would a younger Roo have trouble with my "alpha" hen, or would she get in line behind if he wasn't way younger? This will be my first roo (I have only had my hens about 3 months) so I am a little nervous. Does anyone have experience with the cream legbar roosters? Are they noisy, good temperament? I know every breed has their good and bad apples, just looking in general. I am in South East Ga, so I don't really want to travel too far if I can help it...

Forgive me for barging in, I live in NC and read this thread now and then, but I just have to answer this. The bantams do lay little blue eggs. Araucanas and Ameraucanas are recognized by the APA and therefore purebred breeds. Araucanas are tailless and have tuffs on their cheeks. Ameraucanas have tails, muffs and beards and come in only specified colors. They both lay blue eggs. Easter Eggers are not recognized, therefore may be mutts, and come in any color or pattern. They lay almost any color egg including blue, green and brown in many different shades. A special kind of EE is the Olive Egger which ideally lays a dark olive egg. They're all fun to raise and some, like the OE can be quite a challenge. Hope this helps.
Kathleen
I knew there was mutts in there somewhere
wink.png
Thanks for the info, keep barging we don't mind, and Kathleen is a good name
frow.gif

I am wanting to put a rooster in with my hens. Does anyone know of a good place to get a cream legbar rooster? My girls are about 10 months old. Should I try to get a rooster around that age or a little older? Would a younger Roo have trouble with my "alpha" hen, or would she get in line behind if he wasn't way younger? This will be my first roo (I have only had my hens about 3 months) so I am a little nervous. Does anyone have experience with the cream legbar roosters? Are they noisy, good temperament? I know every breed has their good and bad apples, just looking in general. I am in South East Ga, so I don't really want to travel too far if I can help it...
someone on here has CCL's just don't remember who

Flower.... Ameraucanas vs Araucanas. Other than one of them having "me" in their name, what's the difference? And do the bantams lay tiny little blue eggs?
True Araucanas have no tail bone, so no rump. They are rumples. Some have tuffs (not muffs. Muffs are the beards that EEs and Ameraucanas have). However, the genes for tuffs are usually a death sentence for chicks and about 80% of chicks with tuffs will die in the shell durning hatching. Very hard to hatch. Anyway, they should all lay blue eggs. Since the blue egg gene is dominate over white, you could get blue egg layers by mating white with blue. (Make sure they have no hidden genes, such as an EE, The EE could be laying a blue egg, but be carrying a recessive white gene.. Bw(Dominate blue with recessive white) = blue eggs, but if you have Bw and mix with a ww you would only have 25% of getting a blue egg laying hen. Birds like the Legbar or the Ameraucana or the Araucana would all have BB genes. Yes, bantams can lay blue eggs. I have a bantam Frizzled NN who lays a tiny olive green egg!

Back
Top Bottom