YO GEORGIANS! :)

Curious about augmented lighting. When do you start, how much light?
My girls free range until Henry tucks 'em in at dark. I sing to them when I close the coop doors and they calm right down.
I had chickens decades ago in Florida but it is so much easier with the inter webs, figuring things out. So, Georgians, please tell me about October & lights.

Curious about augmented lighting. When do you start, how much light?
My girls free range until Henry tucks 'em in at dark. I sing to them when I close the coop doors and they calm right down.
I had chickens decades ago in Florida but it is so much easier with the inter webs, figuring things out. So, Georgians, please tell me about October & lights.

Most chickens need 14 hours of 'light' to produce eggs, Right now we have a little less than 12 daylight hours in my area. If you google 'how many daylight hours do we have now' (or something like that wording), you will see a website that you can key in your city and it will tell you the daylight hours for every day of the year! To add light, you would want to put them on a timer so that the chickens can go to bed at their usual time, but wake up to the timed light. So, right now, I am putting my light to come on at 5am and off at 7:30am when it is light again.

That is added sugars, look for these names, Simple sugars are called monosaccharides and include glucose (also known as dextrose), fructose, andgalactose. The table or granulated sugar most customarily used as food is sucrose, a disaccharide. Maltose is sugar from grains, sucrose is from fruits/veggies lactsose is from milk, if your wanting to use a sugar substitute use Stevia, stay away from the pink and blue packets, yellow is ok,

Want to see something really nasty? Google "pink slime" you would be amazed where this stuff is found. "pink slime" “low-grade beef trimmings and other meat by-products such as cartilage, connective tissue, and sinew.” It is used as a filler or to lower the fat content of beef. Part of the processing involves spraying the trimmings with ammonia or citric acid to kill bacteria,

Want some McD's burgers now, lol
Even the yellow packet and some of the Stevia products on the market are not good choices. With Stevia, look for organic. Then you are getting clean extract not chemically extracted product.

Food inc is another good movie to watch if you want to learn about our food sources. Yikes.

Hello to all of the newbies.
smile.png

Even the yellow packet and some of the Stevia products on the market are not good choices. With Stevia, look for organic. Then you are getting clean extract not chemically extracted product.

Food inc is another good movie to watch if you want to learn about our food sources. Yikes.

Hello to all of the newbies.
smile.png
yeah that's why I said it was ok some are worse than others and if we really paid attention to our food source then they wouldn't be getting away with all the stuff they do. When I was going for my BS in Nutrition we had to watch lots of interesting films, they do some experimenting stuff to the 3rd world food, things they can't get away with here all in the name of helping till it can't be ignored cause lots are getting sick. Don't get me started on GMO's bad stuff

Well, you all know I am putting my chickens on a diet. They are no longer getting the left overs from the renters. I was giving them tons of everything.....pasta, beans, breads, everything! (except for the cakes and cookies....I was eating them!) Well, the egg levels went low.....3-6 eggs out of 50 chickens! Well, after a week, I am only getting 0-2! Hahaha! They are probably going thru carb/sugar withdrawal just like I am! Sugar and artificial sweetner withdrawal is not fun! Anyway, I actually saw the chickens back up in the yard looking for bugs again.....imagine that! They had been sitting down by the gate all day waiting for their pan full of leftovers! I learned my lesson!

I now have the top 5 lines of 1st import Isbars (Silverruds Blue) and I am so excited. They are some of the nicest chickens I have ever had. You can move hens and roosters around and nobody fights for dominance. You could put young ones in and they are never picked on. It amazes me. The lines I have are Candi Johnson, Walli Johnson, Alchemist, Posey (Lisa), and have 2nd import GFF but not sure I will breed those anytime soon. I put my first tray of 1st imports in the incubator today. I got my Alchemist splash rooster from Nashville last weekend. The drive was worth it.

Most chickens need 14 hours of 'light' to produce eggs, Right now we have a little less than 12 daylight hours in my area. If you google 'how many daylight hours do we have now' (or something like that wording), you will see a website that you can key in your city and it will tell you the daylight hours for every day of the year! To add light, you would want to put them on a timer so that the chickens can go to bed at their usual time, but wake up to the timed light. So, right now, I am putting my light to come on at 5am and off at 7:30am when it is light again.

This is an interesting topic. Do chickens really need augmented light in order to produce? Last year I didn't do additional light - just daylight - and my girls laid through the winter. Not quite as strong as spring - but I averaged 5 or 6 eggs a day from my 8 hens (at the time).

Has anyone else on here gone w/ no artificial light with success? I'd rather not bother with an additional light in the coop - but if it yields more eggs it may be worth a try.

I am trying to figure out what happened to my easter egger (~7 months old) - was one of our best layers and completely stopped 2 weeks ago. I figured it was to protest our new rooster we got at that time but it may be the light.

For folks who do artificial light, do you set it to turn on in the morning or leave it on later at night? I figure when they go into the coop to bed they are ready to roost and be done, so early AM sounds like it would make more sense.

Last edited:
This is an interesting topic. Do chickens really need augmented light in order to produce? Last year I didn't do additional light - just daylight - and my girls laid through the winter. Not quite as strong as spring - but I averaged 5 or 6 eggs a day from my 8 hens (at the time).

Has anyone else on here gone w/ no artificial light with success? I'd rather not bother with an additional light in the coop - but if it yields more eggs it may be worth a try.

I am trying to figure out what happened to my easter egger (~7 months old) - was one of our best layers and completely stopped 2 weeks ago. I figured it was to protest our new rooster we got at that time but it may be the light.

For folks who do artificial light, do you set it to turn on in the morning or leave it on later at night? I figure when they go into the coop to bed they are ready to roost and be done, so early AM sounds like it would make more sense.

You can google the lighting. There are pros and cons. But, they all agree that the chickens should go to bed at the normal light and wake up to the artificial light.

About the EE. Can be several things..... chickens don't like changes. But, although it is young, could be starting to molt? I had a few to molt that young. But, I'm having trouble with ALL 50 of my chickens! Only getting a few eggs a day!

Back
Top Bottom