YO GEORGIANS! :)

The young guy who teaches the egg-candling classes is super nice and very helpful. If you email him, I'm sure he'll tell you when the next class will be held in the Macon area. Here's his info:

Ben Pitts - [email protected]

thank you! i definitely want to go----you know how much I like eggs!!
lau.gif
D.gif

I wish I had known. I live 15min from there. The class sounds eggciting

Hey Jenn. UGA Extension Service offers the GA Egg Candling class in Griffin regularly, so just keep an eye on the Dept of AG website for the next class (http://agr.georgia.gov/egg-candling-class.aspx). It's free, and it VERY easy. There was a video and then a 20-question test in which ALL answers were provided. We got a cheap hot lunch at the Spaulding Co. Senior Center, and then went back to class to candle eggs. Each person had to candle 100 eggs and grade them (AA, A, B, CK [cracked], etc.). It got boring after the first 20 eggs, but it was still fun, and we met some nice people. Most were people who had small farms and wanted to sell their eggs at farmer's markets and such. One lady brought in a FBCM egg, and it was nearly impossible to grade that egg. Anyway, it was a fun day, except for the rain.

[COLOR=333333]Any suggestions on a good waterproof sealant for my coop roof. I cannot afford to spend a lot. just want it to work. [/COLOR]

What kind of roof/roofing material?

Found something, can't remember the name of it, but it reflects the heat away. And im getting it free! My friend has a half a 5 gallon bucket of it! Yay.

Lady had more LO chicks plus more hatching in 8 days. $5 straight run. Interested? She's way back in the middle of nowhere in Ball Ground.
Yes, I'm interested. There is also a breeder who lives near us that has some beautiful Lavenders. Do you have some photos of the parents? I like the English Lavender Orps with the dark heads. I think you have to breed Lavenders every third of fifth generation with a Black Orp in order to maintain the strong lavender color in future generations. However, I don't remember exactly. I'll have to research it again.

Found something, can't remember the name of it, but it reflects the heat away. And im getting it free! My friend has a half a 5 gallon bucket of it! Yay.
Hmmmm...usually a reflective coating such as an acrylic polymer or an elastomeric coating such as Sta-Kool is painted on the outside of a roof. Painting it on an underlayment or directly on plywood under a roof will not provide any additional insulation or cooling. If you want to provide additional insulation, you'll need to install batts of insulation behind the plywood (on the inside of the coop). For example, if you used fiberglass insulation batts, you would install them from the inside of the coop,.

Depending on what type of tin you're using on the roof, such as old discolored metal or metal painted in a dark color, painting it with a reflective coating would be helpful. If you are using shiny sheets of corrugated metal, you already have a lot of reflection of the heat from the sun.

That's my 2¢.

Lady had more LO chicks plus more hatching in 8 days.  $5 straight run.  Interested?  She's way back in the middle of nowhere in Ball Ground. 

Yes, I'm interested. There is also a breeder who lives near us that has some beautiful Lavenders. Do you have some photos of the parents? I like the English Lavender Orps with the dark heads. I think you have to breed Lavenders every third of fifth generation with a Black Orp in order to maintain the strong lavender color in future generations. However, I don't remember exactly. I'll have to research it again.

Hmmmm...usually a reflective coating such as an acrylic polymer or an elastomeric coating such as Sta-Kool is painted on the outside of a roof. Painting it on an underlayment or directly on plywood under a roof will not provide any additional insulation or cooling.  If you want to provide additional insulation, you'll need to install batts of insulation behind the plywood (on the inside of the coop). For example, if you used fiberglass insulation batts, you would install them from the inside of the coop,.

Depending on what type of tin you're using on the roof, such as old discolored metal or metal painted in a dark color, painting it with a reflective coating would be helpful. If you are using shiny sheets of corrugated metal, you already have a lot of reflection of the heat from the sun.

That's my 2¢.

True, and I agree! Thanks for the 2cents..lol

Cochin looks like a little devil XD.

That's a BO/Brahma mix, I wanted to give you some normal BO eggs last time but she wasn't laying yet

Btw tiny dancer was a miss spell but the best name XD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom