YO GEORGIANS! :)

Im looking for golden appenzeller spitzhauben...if anyone know anyone that breeds them let me know please thanks

I think someone actually posted one of those here earlier this week. I can't find it right now, but read back through the posts and maybe you'll find it!

The only advice I have is via my coop builder/husband. When thinking of size, consider lumber dimensions. A lot is 12 foot length so maybe you do 36' and save yourself a ton of cuts when it comes to wood & wire. We have built everything from raised beds and runs and coop in order to minimize cuts and waste. Just my .02...

umm, you can buy lumber pretty much any even number length you want, 8-10-12, etc up to about 18 to 20 feet, after that it's special order.

the most COMMON length builders use for plans and planning material purchases is 8', because that's the side of most sheeting, plywood, panelling, etc.

so in the thoughtline you were going with, most builders will plan out something taking in consideration 8 feet. for example, an 8 x 12 coop. This would take 3 sheets of siding or plywood for the long side, two for the ends. The studs for the walls are even already precut at 92 5/8" to allow for the wall framing plates and sills, so they'll come out at just the right height to make the wall 8 feet tall for the sheeting.

the good thing about doing something 12' is that there is a lot less cutting, because the math works out so well for 8' long or 4' wide

:)

umm, you can buy lumber pretty much any even number length you want, 8-10-12, etc up to about 18 to 20 feet, after that it's special order.

the most COMMON length builders use for plans and planning material purchases is 8', because that's the side of most sheeting, plywood, panelling, etc.

so in the thoughtline you were going with, most builders will plan out something taking in consideration 8 feet. for example, an 8 x 12 coop. This would take 3 sheets of siding or plywood for the long side, two for the ends. The studs for the walls are even already precut at 92 5/8" to allow for the wall framing plates and sills, so they'll come out at just the right height to make the wall 8 feet tall for the sheeting.

the good thing about doing something 12' is that there is a lot less cutting, because the math works out so well for 8' long or 4' wide

:)
That was exactly my point. If you watch your dimensions then there is much less waste and fewer cuts. Hence, my 8 x 12 coop. Of course, you can do whatever you want. Going from 32' with many seams due to 8' length would not be my preference. I'd go with 12' and bump to 36'. I'm doing what my husband wants because he's the one who has to pay for it, make the cuts, and swallow what waste we have. I think we're actually agreeing...but, ok...

It as Bruceifer
I still have them. We were going to keep one that Christopher named Josuke (pronounced Joe-Sue-Kay), from the Josuke Higashikata character in the anime series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Christopher said the crest on one golden reminded him of Josuke's hair, thus the name. :rolleyes: (I'm not into anime, so I'm clueless about that stuff.) Anyway, we decided to part with all of the Appenzeller Spitzhauben and still have two goldens and three silvers. They're beautiful birds, and we're letting them go cheap because we have have too many young birds right now, and Orpingtons and FBCM are what we want to concentrate on raising and breeding.

ok, too tired to look it up right now. When these eggs from the exchange hatch next week, what's the easiest way to tell the Welsummer females from the Legbar females. Is it that the welsummer's legs will be more yellowish? I know Legbars will have a crest but not always. Just let me know so I don't have to remember all my old notes! Thanks! LOL!

Ok so thought I'd let y'all know I have another coop project going on...lol yes another!! All I'm gonna say is look at the before pics....oh my!

Oh my! I'm exhausted just looking at that project! In my younger life I would do stuff like that, but not anymore! It's just too much heavy hot work! I can't wait to see how it all comes out!

That was exactly my point. If you watch your dimensions then there is much less waste and fewer cuts. Hence, my 8 x 12 coop. Of course, you can do whatever you want. Going from 32' with many seams due to 8' length would not be my preference. I'd go with 12' and bump to 36'. I'm doing what my husband wants because he's the one who has to pay for it, make the cuts, and swallow what waste we have. I think we're actually agreeing...but, ok...

yes ma'am, we're agreeing that basically planning it out with the correct measurements and then buying accordingly is by far the best way to go :highfive:

I had someone over in the coop building thread just get completely bent out of shape with me because I built one 6x10, just fussing about how many cuts I was going to have to make and how much waste that was.... Even when I explained it: A) I planned the cuts and had home depot put them on their big wall saw and cut them for me B) there was no waste because each side needed the half sheets C) I built it the size I wanted based on what my needs were at the time ;)

so yeah going with 12 footers for what you're building is definitely the smart way to go, although, if you went with 16' there'd only be one seam and one cut. :D

One thing I'll fill in here just in case anyone reading along doesn't know. When you're buying lumber for an outside project that doesn't require exactly straight lumber, somewhere in the back at home depot is a cart with the damaged lumber that they mark down. If it has a purple paint spot on it, it's 70% off.....I framed my whole chicken coop from 2x4s that were in the damage bin for $54, then I went and checked the 'oops' bay on the paint ailse and lucked into a gallon of bard red that would have normally been $40 for NINE dollars :wee

and I'm pretty sure that Lowes does the same thing, just ask where the damage bin is

Back
Top Bottom