YO GEORGIANS! :)

Someone wrote that people travel 12 hours to take there chickens to shows. They use chicken transport crates. The chickens can move around. I read to travel at night and provide only water. We have a mini van, I'd have to have the chickens, (hopefully sleeping), a dog, a cat, a husband and me. It's going to be nuts.(I have to find some used transport crates, or rent them from someone.) It would be too expensive to buy so many crates. Maybe I could get two chickens in each one. I'd put the buddies together and then the rooster separate. If I can get my hands on 6 crates everything might fit. I have a few months to figure it out. But, I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for your reply.
I meant like a big metal dog crate to put all the chickens in. You can sometimes find them on Craigslist. I got mine for free on the side of the road. Lol.

Boxes. That would keep the environment dark enough to lull them to stay asleep longer. People do it all the time.

My chickens' run is on a hill side covered with mountain laurel. Not much green for them to eat. We grow fodder from Barley seeds. We also feed them all the grass clipping when we cut grass. They also get any left over salad stuff and cabbages during the year.

Boxes, yes, I can definitely get boxes that would do the trick. I'm starting to feel more settled about the whole thing. First I wasn't going to bring any or the chickens. I was going to try to find other people to take them. Then I decided that I would keep the oldest hens, they're so gentle and sweet they sit on my lap when I sit in a lawn chair. Every time I would talk to my husband about the chickens I would get a little teary. So he told me just to bring them and stop worrying about them. Now that I have the transport arrangements settled in my brain I feel better. I also feel better about not having grass. (There wouldn't be any grass clippings) I don't know anything about fodder but I'll figure it out. There is one little sunny patch on the other side of a creek in our woods. Weeds grow there, I could plant seeds. I just have to figure out how to make a little bridge and teach the chickens to cross over it. I can do that. Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. You rescued me from worry and stress.

Well, apparently the new duck roller (instead of the normal turner that comes with your incubators) worked like a charm! All 20 eggs hatched! 1 chicken last week that I thought was a duck egg and 19 ducks today! Unfortunately one duck was born with some birth defect and ended up dieing after 12 hours. Poor baby. The last 3 are drying in the mini incubator, but here are all the rest.....ready for the brooder! The darker ones are Khaki Campbell/Indian Runner mixes. The yellow ones are Indian Runners. Anyone need ducks?
IMG_8950.JPG
IMG_8949.JPG

Yay! My turkey Holly went broody. She's sitting on a bunch of her own eggs plus 8 various turkey eggs I traded from someone on byc.

I have some quail eggs in the incubator and two of my bantams are sitting on eggs too. Lots of babies hopefully. @Tabasco Jack Do the quail go broody? Do you know?

Attachments

• 20180424_134443.jpg
    20180424_134443.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 3
Yay! My turkey Holly went broody. She's sitting on a bunch of her own eggs plus 8 various turkey eggs I traded from someone on byc.

I have some quail eggs in the incubator and two of my bantams are sitting on eggs too. Lots of babies hopefully. @Tabasco Jack Do the quail go broody? Do you know?
I've never had Cortunix go broody. Bob whites do. Some people online say that they've had Cortunix to go broody. So, if you give them a nest they might.

Back
Top Bottom