YO GEORGIANS! :)

I think the biggest problem in doing that is that the hen just keeps being broody. She doesn't succeed in her hatching so she goes to look for more eggs again. By letting the mom have the babies for a week or so, they get it 'out of their system' and will go back to laying eggs sooner.
It's interesting that she would go back to laying sooner when losing the chicks vs. losing the eggs but good to know that she would try to take over another nest if only losing eggs. That info may be useful in managing hatches.

It's really odd that the one chick hatched so soon. What could be going on with that? Reckon it's got a speedy development gene? Could it just be the warm weather?

I hope your duck makes it. That is a strange place for a massive injury.

It's interesting that she would go back to laying sooner when losing the chicks vs. losing the eggs but good to know that she would try to take over another nest if only losing eggs. That info may be useful in managing hatches.

It's really odd that the one chick hatched so soon. What could be going on with that? Reckon it's got a speedy development gene? Could it just be the warm weather?

I hope your duck makes it. That is a strange place for a massive injury.

I think the guy I got the egg from must have stored it in a warm place. Duck is doing ok. Still alive and alert, but obviously not able to move around much. I think I will give him one more day on antibiotics. I did rewrap the leg.

Your eggs are looking good! Haven't lost one yet. They go into lockdown on Thursday and should hatch on Sunday. Did you decide about keeping them all? Selling them or giving them to me? :lol: I will let you know what hatches.

6B631D37-9181-4264-977A-2A5E259D80FC.jpeg
So I was trying to get the younger ducks back to the house, but for some reason they wouldn’t come. Then I noticed one all hunkered down. I actually thought it was dead. I went down to get it and discovered her leg was all tangled in fishing line with a huge 2” hook on the end! This is what apparently ripped open my male duck yesterday!!! Can’t imagine what the renters thought they would catch in a small lake with that hook!

View attachment 1495966 So I was trying to get the younger ducks back to the house, but for some reason they wouldn’t come. Then I noticed one all hunkered down. I actually thought it was dead. I went down to get it and discovered her leg was all tangled in fishing line with a huge 2” hook on the end! This is what apparently ripped open my male duck yesterday!!! Can’t imagine what the renters thought they would catch in a small lake with that hook!
Oh my goodness that's awful! People are so inconsiderate! Keep us updated on your duck's recovery!

Oh my goodness that's awful! People are so inconsiderate! Keep us updated on your duck's recovery!
If everyone remembers, our mallard Runner Duck, Zorro, got ripped open on a huge hook that the renters left at the lake. It tore open a 7" gash from above his stomach (but on his side) to below his leg. I mean, it was open! We saw bones, muscle and fat tissue thru the huge gaping
IMG_9742.JPG
hole. I super glued it shut except for a small opening so that it could drain. After 6 days of quarantine (rest), betadine rinses and 3 days of injected antibiotics, we let Zorro out with the other ducks. They all spent the day at the lake. He seems to be doing very well! He is on the bottom left in the photo! YAY!

Back
Top Bottom