YO GEORGIANS! :)

So my mama hen is broody. She’s hatched chicks before so I’m pretty sure she’ll stay broody. Tomorrow is day 3 of her broodiness.

I am thinking of getting a dog cage and making a nest, adding my day 7 incubator eggs and seeing if she’ll sit on them and hatch them.

Think it will work? Or will it ruin my day 7 eggs? I will try to do it tomorrow night because she is still sitting on eggs tonight, my husband checked and tried getting her eggs and she pecked his hand 🤣

So my mama hen is broody. She’s hatched chicks before so I’m pretty sure she’ll stay broody. Tomorrow is day 3 of her broodiness.

I am thinking of getting a dog cage and making a nest, adding my day 7 incubator eggs and seeing if she’ll sit on them and hatch them.

Think it will work? Or will it ruin my day 7 eggs? I will try to do it tomorrow night because she is still sitting on eggs tonight, my husband checked and tried getting her eggs and she pecked his hand 🤣
I'm not a fan of moving the broody around. Is she in an unsafe spot? I have removed eggs I didn't want hatched and slipped under ones I did. I just recently gave a broody four started eggs from my incubator. She's a first timer so we'll see how she does.

I'm not a fan of moving the broody around. Is she in an unsafe spot? I have removed eggs I didn't want hatched and slipped under ones I did. I just recently gave a broody four started eggs from my incubator. She's a first timer so we'll see how she does.

I don’t like moving them either. But if the other hens lay their eggs there it makes it a hassle to dig under her to get the new eggs while leaving the old eggs. 🧐 I’ll see how she is today.

Hello my fellow Georgians. Is the price of feed going up or are my eyes failing me?? Thankfully I keep chickens for fun plus fresh eggs but not to “cut costs by not buying eggs from grocery stores” since that’s impossible 😂 But now it will really be impossible with the price of feed just increasing like crazy!!

Is this because of the chicken surge, therefore supply and demand or is it for other reasons? Is it only in my area or have you noticed chicken feed going up? And I buy the cheap stuff not organic or anything fancy!

ETA: I was looking at the chick starter not the layer feed 🤦‍♀️ but I’ll still keep an eye out just in case.

Last edited:
Hello my fellow Georgians. Is the price of feed going up or are my eyes failing me?? Thankfully I keep chickens for fun plus fresh eggs but not to “cut costs by not buying eggs from grocery stores” since that’s impossible 😂 But now it will really be impossible with the price of feed just increasing like crazy!!

Is this because of the chicken surge, therefore supply and demand or is it for other reasons? Is it only in my area or have you noticed chicken feed going up? And I buy the cheap stuff not organic or anything fancy!

ETA: I was looking at the chick starter not the layer feed 🤦‍♀️ but I’ll still keep an eye out just in case.
I went and got 50lbs yesterday of starter, and I did notice there was about $1 increase. Or my memory is bad from last time I bought it.

I went and got 50lbs yesterday of starter, and I did notice there was about $1 increase. Or my memory is bad from last time I bought it.

Yes, a one dollar increase here too. But when I looked online it was the same price, so should I start ordering online and picking up in store or something? Unless they’re about to up the price online too.

Oh! I transferred my broody hen to an enclosed nesting area but still next to her old coop and in her same run that way she feels secure and familiar with the area.

She spent the whole night on my incubator eggs AND she’s still there today, hasn’t moved 😍 so excited that I don’t have to take care of 12 chicks in two weeks 😂 (well if they all hatch that is)

Back
Top Bottom