YO GEORGIANS! :)

Welcome Melissa and 7-mile

I am right off of I-75 at the Jackson/Barnesville exit.. close to McDonough, Forysth, Griffin, Newnan...not so close to other parts of GA but love to explore - I love our Georgia forum..such nice folks.

I currently have a fast growing mixed large fowl flock with several small breeder pens to keep some LF eggs pure. I was offered a Buff orpington rooster last May and to sweeten the deal, my teacher friend (school is FINALLY OUT for the summer thankfully) offered two hens.. when she brought them to school, there were six hens and a wonderful rooster. My obsession was born. I do have to say I have ONE TINY COCHIN that was a bonus egg.. "Sprout" is so cute and so tiny - even at 14 weeks old. Not sure if he is a she..but a lovable little bird.

I now have "a bunch" of chickens of various ages.. I discovered hatching and have gone a little wild with all the wonderful eggs available on BYC - auctions, swaps and egg chain - DO NOT go there unless you want to be sucked into the fun...
ya.gif
My first chicks hatched out in late December so I am looking for eggs soon. I have chicks from 23 weeks old down to 1 day old.. four broody hens have been on the job all month.. three have hatched out and there is nothing like seeing a Mama hen with her brood.. two of them have taken their chicks out of the coop on "field trips" in the yard. So heartwarming. The third is sitting tight on her hatching eggs.. I was most excited about the good hatch rate on hen #2 (13 out of 15) as all but one egg was a shipped egg. I had the hens going broody so fast that thankfully I had some shipped eggs to put under them.

Stick around and find some people close to you.. or like me.. just jump in the truck and go see some that might not be as close to you. Planning to go see Nancy today (Bargain)..She and Jacque are wonderful.. and so sharing of their knowledge and love of chickens. I am cleaning out my truck this morning to make room for the goodies I am going to bring back..
love.gif
With summer vacation here.. I feel several "road trips" coming...

Have a wonderful holiday weekend
Shelly

Awww.. another wonderful afternoon with Nancy and Jacque.. it is such a peaceful place even with all the animals. Jacque gave me the tour of the goat barn and introduced me to a couple of cats while Nancy was selling a baby bunny... boy my dogs were NOT happy when I got home.

Let me forewarn you.. Jacque likes to stir up trouble in the pens.. I witnessed him letting 4 guineas in a pen that had turkeys, another guinea and two roosters.. well let me just tell ya.. there were feathers flying everywhere.. although no animal was harmed.. just alot of pushing and shoving. Jacque then tried to play innocent when Nancy came back. Such a joker he is.
ep.gif
Just watch out.. he will try to pen the blame on you.

I came home with 5 new chickens.. MARGE is the Splash Orpington, PRISSY is the speckled Sussex.. the other three are still nameless at the moment.. that will change by in the morning..
ya.gif
I also found a bunch of hatching eggs in my truck. I plan to tell my DH that I have NO clue how they got there... and lets see.. what else.. ohh a little blue orpington roo (we think) and a cabbage.. freshest produce around!

If you get a chance to go see Nancy and Jacque.. I assure you.. it is well worth the time. I spend 2 hours each way and am ready to go back tomorrow. Next time I am going to ask them to reserve me some squash..there was none left today
hit.gif

Shelly

Shelly you make the sweetest of honey seem sour!!! Y'all this lady has no mean bone in her body, unless she should see someone really hurt an animal....Don't make me cry...

I miss you already.... Yup that Jacque is a rapscallion AND I spent all morning trying to straighten out things and sooth the poor little critters...Like you said no harm done.
big_smile.png

My little silkies who were put in the pen with the baby guineas TOLD me that they were planning a get away asap.....The next time the door was opened, they were going to fly out and into Jacque's hair which needs a hair cut and get a ride to town!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
And then the most intelligent of them said she found a label on the ground and she was going to fly to the post office with the label in her mouth and they would know exactly what to do. Then the agreed that the best thing they could do was simply to ride around with Jacque and hang tight into his hair and just be with him all day.....Guess who I'm sending to Bowdon on errands this afternoon.... I'm going to give him a clean shirt to put on ....ahemmmmmm with something in his pocket.....

Good thing he doesn't read the Georgia board or he would know what I was up to....

It's been a wonderful relaxing morning and a PTL day....Well a lot of animal care, but that's a love....Shelly, Jacque finally got to his animal care!

Picked squash that came up overnight (sorry Shelly) and going to make some squash pickles.......Working on an old metal cabinet to hang in the very old bathroom... Poured up a gallon of The Garry Farm Honey into small jars for sale and a big one for me too!

Dreaming of the next project.

And Shelly thanks so much for those Lovely little Netherland Dwarfs.
They seem content and I'm working on a new pen for them and have a few projects in mind for those handsome boys!!!

Well, I better get back to sanding this cabinet! and taping it for a late pm paint job!

Tomorrow, anyone needing bunnies, turkey poults, turkey eggs, a few hatching eggs left by my dear friend, veggies, milk or honey, do come for a visit! Oh here's a picture of that fun loving guy and our "lazy boy" the first male roo of the White Silkies!
8875_jac_imprinting_silkie_or_viceversa.jpg

Nothing like fun on the farm!

Last edited:
Ok I have one dozen frizzle cochins and one dozen ee packaged and ready to go they have been packaged since Friday and have rode to Atlanta with me. Was going to drop the off at po but payment did not come thought will send the tommorw to someone in ga. For $15.00 papal is [email protected]. would love to know how the hatch since the have had along weekend in Atlanta. Just type ga eggs sold and send payment to paypal

Last edited:
Hi Kaylah 101, welcome to our happy little bunch of Georgians....You are fairly close to several of us....I'm only about 45 minutes from you! Come see us at the farm sometimes... Have a great day!

JennyHenny of Morganton... just above Blue Ridge, Ga.

I am new to the area and I am so happy and blessed to have some mountain acres on which to set up a small farm. I am looking for like-minded friends and I would love to help any homeless goats, bunnies, chicks, sheep, donkeys, horses, etc. before I turn my eye toward those who are not actually in need of a home. I am ecstatic to discover that I love it more here every day, and I feel as though I have moved to heaven on earth! Daily I work on teaching myself to garden Southern-Mountain style. I have a few acres of some chest-high amber-colored grass that looks fairly nutritious and I would love to share it with any hungry animals who either want to visit and munch away, or move to my place to live! I am looking forward to meeting some fellow N. Ga. Mt. residents!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom