Yogurt “treat”

Apr 14, 2018
Massachusetts
72328FD5-3A0A-45CD-8C14-F24379B9B217.jpeg
72328FD5-3A0A-45CD-8C14-F24379B9B217.jpeg hi
I had some extra plain whole milk yogurt...and I read it was good for chickens. So...today I gave them some. Just a few tablespoons between the 5 of my 16 week old girls.
But in another page I belong to, someone said, this was a bad idea and will give them the runs.
Good or bad ‘treat’ ? Just curious.

Last edited:
Mine love yogurt!!! It has protein. It also has SUGAR not esp. good for chickens. I suggest plain Greek yogurt. Unfortunately I gave mine vanilla flavored (it’s what we eat) and now they won’t touch the plain. Please don’t use flavored or fruit added it has way too much SUGAR! They can make a real mess and fling it on everything including their feathers (don’t want that). I smear the yogurt about 1/4 inch deep in the middle of a drain dish (from my potted plants) they dip about half of their beak into it and just lap it up. They LOVE IT but I already said that. LOL

Mine love yogurt!!! It has protein. It also has SUGAR not esp. good for chickens. I suggest plain Greek yogurt. Unfortunately I gave mine vanilla flavored (it’s what we eat) and now they won’t touch the plain. Please don’t use flavored or fruit added it has way too much SUGAR! They can make a real mess and fling it on everything including their feathers (don’t want that). I smear the yogurt about 1/4 inch deep in the middle of a drain dish (from my potted plants) they dip about half of their beak into it and just lap it up. They LOVE IT but I already said that. LOL

Hi,no it was plain, no fruit, or sugar. I had bought it for my dog to have once a week. Small amounts.

hi
I had some extra plain whole milk yogurt...and I read it was good for chickens. So...today I gave them some. Just a few tablespoons between the 5 of my 16 week old girls.
But in another page I belong to, someone said, this was a bad idea and will give them the runs.
Good or bad ‘treat’ ? Just curious.
I've given my chooks yogurt before and it's never seemed to effect them adversely. Now I just give them a little in moderation, I would imagine if you give them quite a bit you might get the results the 2nd person you talked to spoke of. I usually just give them a some with fresh cool fruit mixed in during the heat, they really seem to like it as a cool treat. However I'm not a chicken nutritionist and I don't play one on TV;). Good luck with your chickens:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom