Yogurt, for Walking In?!?

I can't remember if you've had chickens before or not.....
...but might be good to run the design past the many chicken and building savvy folks here on BYC before finalizing with builder.
No, we have not...that's why we've been reading all the plans/notes/discussions on this board for the last year. Mostly, the thoughts uppermost in our heads are: lots of space per chicken, LOTS of ventilation, deep litter method, more ventilation, dry chickens on the roost with ventilation above to make a draw of moist, warm air up to the ventilation, no need to heat where we are, HARDWARE CLOTH, buried skirting, Fort Knox build with no holes/gaps over a half inch. Oh...and more ventilation!

No, we have not...that's why we've been reading all the plans/notes/discussions on this board for the last year. Mostly, the thoughts uppermost in our heads are: lots of space per chicken, LOTS of ventilation, deep litter method, more ventilation, dry chickens on the roost with ventilation above to make a draw of moist, warm air up to the ventilation, no need to heat where we are, HARDWARE CLOTH, buried skirting, Fort Knox build with no holes/gaps over a half inch. Oh...and more ventilation!
...add Large roof overhangs.
This old drafter still wants to see your drawings before ....Oops, :oops:, sorry.

Fort Knox build with no holes/gaps over a half inch.

I like that! Just in case - the run has to have excellent protection too, not just the coop. But it sounds like you got that idea already. You will have happy, safe hens!

For later... do mosquito control on the property if your property has them. I've lost several flock members to West Nile virus (carried by mosquitoes) - with the mosquitoes going right through the fencing material, of course. Now I use mosquito dunks and mosquito bits in all standing water and in all damp places. These use Bacillus Thuringiensis, a natural bacillus that only affects mosquitoes. I have used it in a tank full of mosquito larvae and tadpoles. The tadpoles were unaffected. The mosquito larvae disappeared. Dog drinks from there with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom