Yogurt

chickenrookie16

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
what kind of yogurt do you use for chickens?
and can u feed yogurt to chicks that are almost a week to two weeks?

Let's see I fed my chickens Red Velvet Cake and Cinnamon Roll yogurt today. They are 12 weeks old. They loved it !!!

I feed Nancy's Organic Plain fat free yogurt to my chickens, because that is my yogurt eating preference. I have read that some feed it to young chicks. I didn't try it until a few weeks ago, and boy do they love it. They fling it around and then clean it up off of each other's feathers.
smile.png
Sometimes I add dried mealworms or a little fruit to it.

I buy just generic brand plain yogurt. And yep, you can give it to little ones. Just make sure it doesn't make up the majority of their diet... it is a treat.

I put yogurt on regular sized plastic picnic plates that I bought at the dollar store. Then I sprinkle their crumbles on top... sometimes add blueberries or crumbled up hard boiled egg - my chickens come running at the sound of my back door closing lol

Suemuffin--I am from the Hudson Valley as well. Welcome. To answer your question--I feed my girls nonfat probiotic yogurt as a treat a couple of times a week or more. Like all animals and humans, we need the the good bacteria in our digestive tracts to keep us healthy. I give it to my girls to keep their digestive tracts healthy. It also gives them the benefit of the extra protein. My girls are very healthy and their feathers are just beautiful! They go really nuts over scrambled eggs mixed with yogurt (looks like egg salad!). I started giving it to them when they were week old fuzzy butts and I think it has helped to keep them healthy. I have read a lot of other bycers saying the same thing. I am also impatiently waiting for my first eggs although my girls are only 17 1/2 weeks old. Good luck!!!

Chickenrookie--give them some yogurt. They will love it and will even take it off your fingers!

Yep, they'll take it off your fingers, all right. And they'll take your fingers too!!!! HA!!!!!

Mine go crazy for yogurt. They like the strawberry flavored one best. My only problem is that silkies get it all in their feathers and then go dunk their faces in the regular food or worse, the dirtiest shavings they can find. After that comes baths all around, whether I have time for that or not. It's all downhill from there. So, I try to mix the yogurt with rolled oats, layer crumbles, bread crumbs, or anything that will keep it from being too runny and messy.

Back
Top Bottom