Yoke coming out of chick? Advice/tips please?

InsaneChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
In the land of the chickens :)
Okay, I have a 2-3 day old chick (I hatched it myself) and I had notice her belly was kinda squishy. I was giving her water earlier (She was having a hard time walking on her feet but started to get the hang of it when this happened) and she started walking around and I noticed goop coming from her. At first I thought it was water that had spilled into little droplets but I picked her up and it looked like yoke was coming out. It's been like this for a few hours she's still chirping/walking/falling and she sleeps if I pick her up and wrap her up. It doesn't seem to be leaking anymore but there's a big goopy spot in between her belly button and her vent. What caused this? Her belly isn't squishy anymore. Will she be okay? This is the first time I've ever seen something like this since I'm new to chickens and would appreciate any advice on this. I'd really like this chick to make it..

Last edited:
I think some chicks hatch without the yolk sack being totally reabsorbed. It sounds like that is what the chick is doing now. I have not personally experienced this, but I have read about it not being that unusual.

Hi I'm checking back.

You can hold her. I would say let the yolk sack be for now. It is possible that she is still absorbing nutrients from the yolk sack, and is not hungry at the moment. When they send chicks from the hatcheries, they talk about how the chick doesn't need to eat for the first 24-48 hours while they are in transit. I would encourage the chick to drink, but I am glad that she is starting to do it on her own now.

Hi I'm checking back.

You can hold her. I would say let the yolk sack be for now. It is possible that she is still absorbing nutrients from the yolk sack, and is not hungry at the moment. When they send chicks from the hatcheries, they talk about how the chick doesn't need to eat for the first 24-48 hours while they are in transit. I would encourage the chick to drink, but I am glad that she is starting to do it on her own now.

I'm still having a problem. The yolk is all dried up but I think it's covering her vent. When I tried to carefully pick it off just her vent it started bleeding a little and looked like there was some goopy yolk... /sigh...she's a good chick and I do not understand how the yoke came back out? :/

If you can see that her vent is sealed closed you could hold her on a warm wash cloth until it is softened and then gently wipe it off with the cloth. I wouldn't wipe to much or hard. It may be enough just to let her set on the wash cloth for a while with out wiping.

If you can see that her vent is sealed closed you could hold her on a warm wash cloth until it is softened and then gently wipe it off with the cloth. I wouldn't wipe to much or hard. It may be enough just to let her set on the wash cloth for a while with out wiping.

I can see her vent now but all that dried goop is really a hassle for her to carry around. I want to take it off but I don't want to get more goop going again. If it stays there I'm going to have to make sure her vent stays clear as it's kinda close. I really really really don't want her to die. Unfortunately I've become attached.

Back
Top Bottom