yolk not absorbed

grannychicken54

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
OK
Hi I have a question I had 2 shipped eggs that did not make it and when I opened them you could see yolk a lot then today one of my eggs same thing it is still alive I did not help it out but it does not look good it is still connected by cord but it is out of shell. I wonder what is causing this to happen I have hatched a lot of eggs but I have never seen this any info would be welcome Thanks

Hi I have a question I had 2 shipped eggs that did not make it and when I opened them you could see yolk a lot then today one of my eggs same thing it is still alive I did not help it out but it does not look good it is still connected by cord but it is out of shell. I wonder what is causing this to happen I have hatched a lot of eggs but I have never seen this any info would be welcome Thanks

Unabsorbed yolks are typically caused when the humidity level is too high in the incubator. High humidity also causes larger, weaker chicks. This problem is also sometimes seen when hatches go longer than 21-22 days, which is usually caused by low temperature or high humidity.

Last edited:
I dry hatch- and one of my chicks that didn't make it was not all absorbed, plenty moist though- the last day since the eggs were talking I put them under a broody so she could visit with them. in the morning one egg was not under her. the chick was peeping, but it didn't hatch. I could tell by the size of the belly button if it had hatched in that condition it could have made it, but who knows how long it was not under mom and stunted the growth.

IMMEDIATELY after hatching, you'll still see the yellow yolk up against their body, and they will have a "bulb" shape to their bellies. During this time, the yolk isn't fully absorbed, and it is VERY vulnerable to being punctured and damaged. That's one reason we have to leave chicks in the incubator until they are dry. If the yolk isn't even up against the chick, and the chick is already out of the egg shell, then that is a problem, and it is likely they may not survive. But absorbing the yolk is the absolute LAST thing they do before pushing themselves out of the shell, so you shouldn't be worried about the excessive yolk on those first two that died.

Thanks for all the info I cut the cord and put medicine on it and then left it in incubator took it out today and it is rough looking but it is eating and drinking I did not help it at any time until I cut the cord poor little guy has dried stuff on its feathers but am waiting to clean it up let it get stronger.

Back
Top Bottom