YOLKS ARE BREAKING=(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SqueakyRoseShalom, Mar 25, 2012.

1. SqueakyRoseShalom

SqueakyRoseShalom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    My flock has been laying for almost one year now, and just the past month my yolks have been breaking almost every morning when I make my fried eggs. I can point out three specific things that I have been doing differently since this started happening, although I admit that I can't imagine that any one of these things would do this, but I guess it has to be something! [​IMG]
    1. I started feeding my girls cracked corn. I feed them less than a dry quart per day (about 2 cups), and I have 10 chickens.
    2. I started giving them freeze-dried meal worms, a couple of handfuls.
    3. I started letting them free range for a longer period of time, 2-4 hours, every day. I see them catching bugs and worms and frogs regularly.

So if I had to guess something, am I giving them too much corn? Thanks for any ideas!

2. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    That is a fair amount of corn. Personally, I don't give mine cracked/dried corn at all. Once in a while they get an ear of fresh corn or some canned corn - leftover. I do not include corn in the scratch mixture that I make for them. That is just my preference since corn is a starch and doesn't contribute anything to their diet except calories. Not sure how/if the corn would contribute to broken yolks though. Sometimes I have to whack an egg the second time to break it (yeah, plenty of calcium) and will wind up with a broken yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by