"You better be careful selling farm eggs, 'they' may get you!!!!!"

So I go to the vet today to take a couple of my puppies, I have lots of dogs so they know me fairly well. Before I leave I asked the receptionist if I can bring my brochures and/or business cards for country eggs by to leave on the countertop.

Apparently, she doesn't eat anything like that because she went on this big spill about how I need to be careful because I could get in trouble for selling a “raw product.” So this “joe” waiting to see the vet jumps in talking about how “selling country eggs needs to be kept on the down low, because ‘they’ may get me but as long as no tells on me that I’ll be alright.” Are people crazy? I told them that I’m not selling to grocery stores, just individual people. So the receptionist jumps in again saying again, that I’m selling a “raw product” therefore the “law” still applies to me.

So my question is WHAT LAW? WHO IS GOING TO GET ME?

I already tried to do some research and I couldn’t find ANYTHING except I need to have a best buy date on my eggs or a laid on date. I gather my eggs every day and put the date I gathered them on my labels. I don’t understand people, if you don’t like country eggs I don’t really care if you buy them or not but to try and tell me that I don’t need to sell them because I could get in trouble. Everybody in the country always assume that if you’re from the city you have no common sense. I think the common senseless people are EVERYWHERE. And the worse ones are the ones that live in rural areas because they think they have it! I’ve lived on a farm my whole life and I’ve never heard of anything when it comes to selling country eggs. People just get on my nerves!

So if you have encountered this same thing, I would love to hear your story or if you know of a law. I live in Kentucky (if there is a law)
If you collect them daily, what is the supposed expiration date to tell customers from the date you have collected them, 2 weeks?

I'm not to sure about state laws, but I think the tax man, would like some money!!
That would be my concern.. i'm in Canada, but since the downturn, the tax mans has started keeping a closer eye on, what they think is their money..

At least in the United States, taxes on egg sales from backyard chickens would not be a concern. After you write off the costs (feed, utilities, depreciation, etc.) of egg production there won't be a lot of income to declare.

This probably won't help, but my neighbor here in Missouri sell lots of eggs both from his house and at swap meets and has done so for many years. He doesn't have any permits. There are a lot of other sellers at the same swap meets, too. None of them have any licenses or permits either.

I don't think it really applies to me at this time with only 9 hens... but in the future who knows??
wink.png

I am in North Carolina. There is an Egg Law. farmers who sell less than 30 dozen a week have to:
label the egg cartons as "ungraded eggs"
label the egg cartons with name and address of farmer.
the eggs must be clean (not necessarily washed) just clean.
cartons may be reused and must be foul odor free (no pun intended).

Old information must be marked through.
The eggs have to be stored at 45° or less and unfrozen.

all stuff I would do anyway.

That is about it. if if you sell more than 30 dozen a week or you want to sell graded eggs you have to register as an egg dealer and are subject to more regulation.

kipp

Back
Top Bottom