You CAN keep live grass in the run!

So, do you move the frame after the grass/whatever is growing there is established and start another section growing or do you just leave the frame in the same place all the time?

And do the chickens just pull up on the blades of grass they can grasp through the wire? do you have to worry about the grass being too long for them to digest? I ask as I had read somewhere here in BYC that longer grass could impact the crop?

Thanks!

Thanks for a great idea!!!
big_smile.png

As an abstractly-challenged person, can you please post pics for me too? It sounds like a wonderful idea that I'd like to try, but I would need a visual.

Sorry if anyone already asked this question, but does one move the frame from section to section?

How long do you think that the seeds would take to grow until the chickens could no longer decimate the area? Would these seeds be readily available in a feed store premixed?

Suzy

love.gif

I would love to post a pix, however mine is under snow right now. I have it in the open part of the run so it would get rain.
I don't move mine around.

As to it growing long...no they keep it well trimmed.

I have used wild bird seed, hen scratch, sunflowers and plain grass.

As for making it. Just think building a frame as in a raised bed. 2 x 4's work great for that. Set where you want it then attach on the wire. Fence staples work great for that.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I actually have 4 pots of dirt that I planted wheat in (less than $10 for 50lbs at the feed store)

But I like the idea of using a screen, Keep me from having to replace the pot every day to let it regrow
smile.png

I figured wheat grass would be good for them..ever been to a juice bar (Like Jamba juice?) They actually have flats of growing wheat that they juice!
I haven't been there in many years, dunno if they are even still in business
wink.png

I ran across a post somewhere like this and tried it out. My SO had 2 -- 3 ft x 3 ft square frames he made out of 2 x 4's to pour concrete in. I "borrowed" his frame when he was done with it. I stapled wire on it and put them in the 2 runs. I have them just laying on top of the ground with the wire stapled on top of the frame. Grass is growing in it. I should be able to have grass all summer since they can't poke their heads in it. It isn't very heavy and can be moved around if you wanted it to. I plan on making more soon. I didn't think about putting scratch in it to see what grows. I will with my next "frame".

Last edited:
darn!! it won't work with ducks! they DESTROY grass with their messy eating habits, poop, holes they dig, and just eating the grass in general. man, i was hoping it would work for them too but now matter how strong the roots are, the ducks destroy them.

Back
Top Bottom