You Feather Sexing Experts... have at it! Pretty please? (Video update)

Braindead your assumption is correct. Lower incubation temperatures will extend hatching time by a day or more in some circumstances.

Yes Carol, you understand the method correctly. Lower temperatures during incubation causes males do die in the shell. It is a selective hatching method and like most methods that go against the normally accepted standard tend to have consequences sometimes unwanted.

This thread is misleading. Lower temps do NOT give you more pullets. It gives you less cockerels. Big difference. If you initially set 10 eggs that are theoretically 50/50 girls/boys, then according to this theory, you will NOT get more pullets, you will simply lose the cockerels and they wont develop to hatch. So you will get 5 pullets, which is the same you would get if your temps were normal. So this theory will only be advantageous to those not wanting to hatch as many cockerels.

Braindead your assumption is correct. Lower incubation temperatures will extend hatching time by a day or more in some circumstances.

Yes Carol, you understand the method correctly. Lower temperatures during incubation causes males do die in the shell. It is a selective hatching method and like most methods that go against the normally accepted standard tend to have consequences sometimes unwanted.

It is the best alternative for those of us who are not willing or can't deal with the roos' carcasses anyhow.

By the way, I may post updated photos later on tonight of the ones believed to be boys. After a better look (and a day after) I think I am best able to see a shorter row of feathers. Meaning they all are possibly girls...

I heard that lower temperatures could bring on birth defects and this is another chance to take. I thought they were all perfect but one has crooked toes in one foot and three had splayed legs. The ones with splayed legs are all healed up by now. It only took a night in a banded cast and a crumpled t-shirt to stand on. The little one with crooked toes always finds the way to take off the little cast I make for her. So that one is more stubborn to help.

That may be another reason why hatcheries do not incubate at lower temperatures for the benefit of getting more females. I see why they'd have more losses. But for the pet or small flock owner, spending a little extra time correcting those conditions is no sacrifice.

Last edited:
Wow this thread sure got off topic...
th.gif

This thread is misleading. Lower temps do NOT give you more pullets. It gives you less cockerels. Big difference. If you initially set 10 eggs that are theoretically 50/50 girls/boys, then according to this theory, you will NOT get more pullets, you will simply lose the cockerels and they wont develop to hatch. So you will get 5 pullets, which is the same you would get if your temps were normal. So this theory will only be advantageous to those not wanting to hatch as many cockerels.

I started with 13 eggs. Hatched 6, most (if not all) girls. Had the rest dead in shell or dying at different stages before lockdown.
Interpret it however you like. I could even argue that Tinkerbell sprinkled pixie dust on the shells to favor the girls.
Would I take the same gamble next time in hopes to get more girls than boys? Heck yeah!!

i also hear higher temps give you more pullets because the higher temp kills the rosters ( i hope so because i incubated at a higher temp and one egg didn't make it). and if you feed them certain food it can get you more hens...

Yes there is good evidence that lower temperature during incubation by a degree will produce more pullets than cockerels conversely 1 degree above and ya get more boys! But this isn't a 100% proposition by any means and risky at times too.

But good luck!

JA

Back
Top Bottom