You get what you pay for, but I fixed it !

ladychicken&Ducklover

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Champion, Michigan
So 4 months ago, a friend told me of Her friend, who is a coop builder and is very reasonable .
wee.gif

I was desperate for my coop to be built as I had babies living in a spare room in my house because I just could Not find a Pre-built coop that would be good enough for 3 ducks and 9 chickens, plus, I found $1200 - 2500 for a

coop, to be outrageous.
barnie.gif

Problem with the " friend of a friend " deal , was that he lives in Duluth, MN., and I live in Upper Peninsula , MI., 4 hours away!
th.gif

He and I spoke often, and he had promised a 12x20 walk in coop, ( just what I need as I am a female veteran , disabled during the 1984 plus, Gulf War and this coop would be roomy enough for me to get around in ).

The coop was going to have all kinds of bells and whistles, from dust bath boxes to storage area, to a heated pond for my ducks , all for $375 !
ya.gif

Well, I know about the " you get what you pay for" phrase, so I was VERY cautious.

DH drove all the way to Duluth, picked him up, brought him home and he went right to work.

He was a great worker but needed some help, so my 15 yr old son, chipped in.

He was done in 2 days

It was sitting on unlevel ground ..( I was not present when the frame went up so I could tell them ) .

I about passed out when I saw the roof !!:

OMG, what did I just get myself into ?
he.gif

Now, Im no builder, I cant even build a box, but I DO know that for a 12x20 roof, you need MORE than 4 , 2x4x12's spaced 4 ft apart , ALOT MORE than a 10 degree pitch, AND the 2x4.s should be screwed in with the 2 inch

side facing up, since it gives the board more strength!

He also used 1/8 inch UNTREATED PLYWOOD , 4x8 size..
idunno.gif

The frame and doors were fine.

Ok, fast forward thru ALOT of rain, leaking all in the duck and babies area, and ALOT of research, BYC's help and Panic Not only because of the rain, but the snow that we will be getting...its not unusual to get 2ft over night

and I just knew that a plywood only roof, that is now causing such strain on the few rafters , that I placed emergency supports to hold up the roof, WAS NOT going to hold up and will collapse.

I had enough, so after many drawings, sketches on napkins and MORE PANIC so.....

4 days ago, a "lightbulb " went on, and I drew up a sketch that made me very happy.

I bought the materials , got my son and DH geared up and with me "supervising" , we went to work.

I am SO pleased with the results.
thumbsup.gif

I still need to paint the new areas and put up 1 more piece of OSB on the front, but we are good to go..

Now, bare in mind as you look at the pics and read my plans, that I am a female, who could NOT even build a simple box...SO...if I can do it, ANYONE CAN...
celebrate.gif

All in all, the cost of materials to do this right, came to about $400 .

Alot of the credit goes to BYC members, who's plans and coops, helped me , more than anything..THANK YOU.

I hope MY plans, pics, help others who were in the same boat as I was, and if there are ANY questions, please feel free to ask.

Below is my "narrative , and pics of the New roof ALONG with some of the " inhabitants " , are attached..
love.gif

Enjoy..

Plans :

For a 20 ft length, I placed a total of 10 , 2x4's spaced 2 ft apart.

I then put 2 more 2x4x20 on top of the 1x2's the " friend of a friend " Nailed down in an attempt to create height for rafters .

I then wanted to add MORE height , so I used scrap pieces of 6 in , 1x2's , screwed them down with 4 in wood screws.

He had placed a total of only 4, 2x4's as Support rafters AND Nailed them down , with the WIDE side up making the rafters STRAIN AND BOW down under the weight of the roof!!!

So I placed them NARROW OR 2 inch side, Upward which gives each board strength to hold the weight of the new roof!

Anyway, once I added 6 More inches in height, the roof angle went from a 10 degree slope, to a 35 ( approx ) , degree slope so water and snow can slide off

All ventilation openings are covered with Hardware cloth which might not be seen in the pics.

Completed coop.

92756_whole_coop.jpg

From inside . Note the scrap pieces of 1x2s that are 6 inches high, used as extra height for roof slope.

92756_new_coop_inside_closeup.jpg

Pic of farthest end from inside showing the rafters with the 2 inch side facing up.

92756_coop_front3.jpg

More of inside. The plywood is 7/16 OSB.

92756_coop_facing_trees.jpg

Felipe , 5 months old.

92756_phillip.jpg

Felipe and HIS GIRLS.

92756_phillip_and_his_girls.jpg

Robert, a 5 month old Salmon Favorelle

92756_bobby_1.jpg

Winnie, my 5 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte

92756_winnie.jpg

You noted the use of hardware cloth, but the photos only show chicken wire. They also show the chicken wire kind of rolled into the upper vent space near the roof. This won't stop a predator from getting inside. Raccoons, fox, cyotes, and dogs can all tear through chicken wire. Coons will reach through as well and pull a bird off the roost through the wire. Since it is an open design, I would put boards screwed into place just under the roof area. This will stop coons from getting in through that area.

Lve the size and design, they will love having a long roof during your winters. You may need to think about winterizing some to block wind and snow from blowing into/through the wire walls.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I don't have the updated pics yet , uploaded, that do show the hardware cloth up by the vents , but will get them up sOon.

I have 3 mil clear plastic wrap , 8x100 ft, that I have cut into 4x8 and framed them.

I am screwing the frames into each segment of the coop for wind and snow.

Ok, was worried since coons will slip through any available opening. Love the removal plastic wind break panels, then you can use an many or few as needed. By the way LOVE your polish roo, his white head is beautiful and very full.

It looks great. Good for you for fixing the problem! Do you have any "before" pictures?

I would still be mildly concerned about wet heavy snow loads on the roof. 2x4s are far to small to support much of a load when spanning such a wide area. They probably should have been 2x8 or 2x10 depending on the distance they are spanning. You may want to send your son out to shovel off the roof (from the safety of a ladder, not by climbing on the roof) after each snow fall especially if it isn't sliding off on its own.
wink.png

Quote:
Hi

Thank you for your ideas and concern.

I am trying hard to find the Before pics , and once I find them, I'll post them.

I know I was just SO upset when this guy put the roof up that I might have deleted the pics.

This guy said he only would charge me for materials because he was going to build coops for a living!!

DH told me to email him the Correct way to build a roof. Lol

The framing went well. No complaints on that, other than the roof being bad, my only other complaint was that he decided some of MY tools , I.e , my Dewalt Driver , screws and some nails were his!!! Oh well

I'm also a bit concerned about the snow etc.

The 2x4's are 2 ft apart and there are 10 plus a little more scraps

To add some strength.

The pitch is pretty high and with the corrugated roof, I'm hoping snow will come off by itself, but just in case, my son will rake it off if it starts looking heavy up there.

He just adores those birds too and does Anything to care for them and Myself!!

I'm very lucky in all aspects.

LOVE all Polish and your roo is just a cutie!!! So, your coop is great!! I love that you just decided to rip off the existing roof and put on a new one. Really, that is what should have been done, and you did a fabulous job of it too!! Looks like it's going to hold up great now! Do you have some kind of roofing material over your OSB boards on the roof? If not, my concern for you would be that the OSB will rot out with continued exposure to the weather. It's not meant to be exposed. Your set up looks very ideal, though. I think you have the safety covered.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi thank u so much for the kind compliments!!

Yes, I have 3x8 corrugated metal roofing on top of the OSB.

When we were tearing off the original roof that had only been there for 3 months, the plywood was So rotted as was the original 2x4's , that it took almost a day of sawing , hammering and frustration, to totally get it all off so we could start from fresh !!

Like I said, I am just an ordinary woman vet who couldn't build a box , and I did this roof!!!

But it was mostly due to studying other designs of BYC members, that helped me the most, so if I CAN do it, anyone can !

Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom