You gotta read this one

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ed62, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was working in the yard, raking leaves today. I heard our 27 week old cockerel raising a fuss. I'd heard that sound before. It was a distress call. So I went over to the chicken yard to see what was going on. There were 3 pullets in the yard, seemingly happy enough. He kept up his distress call. I walked into the chicken coop, and there were the other 3 pullets, eating. Where was he? He was in one of the nesting boxes, sitting on an egg!! I guess he's not playing with a full deck [​IMG] . When he saw me, he looked at me like he'd like to say something. What do you think he would have said if he could talk? (Has anyone else seen a rooster sitting on an egg?)

Ed

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Reading your post, I had to laugh out loud! I've never heard of a roo acting this way. It's so bizzare...

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Maybe he's trying to figure out if the girls can do it why can't I, you know how some guys can't stand it if a girl does something better than them.

4. ace6175

ace6175 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I had a rooster that would get in the nest box and coo - trying to woo the hens into the nest box with him!

5. Ed62

Quote:I totally agree. Never thought I'd see anything like that. I brought the egg in to show my wife. I told her Eric was the last one in the box. She quickly assured me he did not lay that egg. [​IMG] I told her it would be just fine with me if he did, and continued to lay an egg a day for many years. I'd never have to worry about missing a meal. [​IMG] I wish I had my camera with me at the time.

Ed

6. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    My Buff Orpington rooster kept shouting his head off and sitting in a nesting box before any of the girls started laying eggs. I wondered if he was trying to communicate something.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He'd say, "Honest, I did not lay that thing. I'm just checking things out."

8. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    He's say, "Those lazy girls just left this here! Can you believe it?!?!?" [​IMG]

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:"After all the work I did to fertilize this thing and they just left it here!!!"

10. Ed62

"I tried, but it sure was hard."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by