You just THINK you want friendly chicks!

Nothing like a full grown hens flying up unexpectedly to land on your head, shoulders, and hands and shoes! I quickly found out why some breeds have been bred to be "standoffish." So one can get some work done.

first time chickie owner here and we purposely chose friendly breeds. our babies will be a month old Tuesday and I am already beginning to question the wisdom of my decision. we have the chicks in a tent in our garage which they learned to unzip, and when I went out there barefoot to check on them they stampeded me and proceeded to peck my toes, climb on my feet, follow me, and just in general impair any attempt to round them up and return them to their home. on another occasion, as I sat in a chair hand feeding Mopey-chick, 5 little boogers decided to use me as a jungle gym. distracted by my feeding task, keeping track of the cat and 2 dogs that were watching the show, I lost track of one of my "friends" who made his way all the way up to the back of the chair, then snuck attack PECKED MY EYEBALLLLL!
ep.gif

needless to say there are no more parties on the human and I wear safety glasses when I have to duck into the tent.

Funny that you posted this....my husband and I were just talking about this tonight! Our chicks are a month old and they have started doing this too! My girls are not so bad, but my roo is the worst. I think he is already trying to protect his girls b/c he was pecking my hands when I would try to pick one of them up. He pecks at everything. He was roosting on my arm tonight and was giving the zipper pull on my jacket what for. He looked just like a dog playing with a chew toy
smile.png

If anyone wears earrings, beware. I know several folks that have lost then to birds. Once they get ahold of that shiny they will NOT let go. Mom lost a backing off her pearl, but was it. Gold and most precious stones will be demolished in a chicken gizzard. It can take awhile to get what is left back.
wink.png

Matt

we too wanted friendly chicks that "love" us, i think what they "love" is the treats!
droolin.gif
but i don't care, we're having too much fun!
celebrate.gif

I love going for walks with my 2 black labs (14 and 2 yrs) my parents blond lab (9 yrs), my schipperke (4 yrs), my cat, (6 yrs), 3 turkeys (nearly 1 yr), 5 old Isa Brown girls (2+yrs), 15 Rhode Island Red young girls( -1Yr), 2 roosters- Gunther (at least 6yrs) and Sparkle (4 yrs) and Richard the peacock (at least 9+yrs). Now thats friendly!

lau.gif
Madhouse Mumma! What a visual, lol.

One of my girls (barred rock) greets me at the run door every time. She likes the attention. One of the Araucana's tolerates being petted and the other Araucana wants no part of me, lol. They were all handled regularly as chicks and are a little more than 3 months old.

Something about the Barred Rocks...lol My old hen would actually jump on my back when I was working in the pen and look over my shoulder to see what I was up to. She was also the most cunning of all my hens...when I would sit on the porch and snap beans, she would come out of no where behind me and help herslef before I knew what happened. She was one of the few chickens that I kept around even though she quit laying ages before, just for her personality. So, yeah, I'll take "friendly" birds becuase they do turn out in the long run to be much more fun. Just a side note, as my wife has learned many times over...flip flops and chickens don't mix....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom