You know a little something about trees!? HELP ME!

Yup, "tulip poplar" is one of its common names, but it's not a poplar (genus Populus, which includes aspens), it's actually in the Liriodendron genus. I'm not sure how it got associated with poplars, but I guess it happens because of certain characteristics people think are similar between the two types of tree. Like the way a gopher tortoise is frequently just called a "gopher," but we all know the real gopher is a little rodent. But they share the common trait of digging tunnels in the earth, so... a gopher is a tortoise and is a rodent too!
smile.png

Anyway, whether tulip poplar or tuliptree or tulip tree etc.... it's a wonderful tree!

Last edited:
I love planting trees!
bun.gif
and watching them grow. Willows are one of my favs and grow really fast. The thing about trees is that you can make them grow a lot faster if you improve there vigor. 1st thing is picking a good specimen from the nursery.

1. Look closely and make sure that there are no bugs or any weird things on the branches and leaves. Pick the best one.
2. Really important is to make sure you don't plant it too deep. When you look at the base of a tree you will see a "crown". This is where the trunk spreads out at the bottom. That is where you want the depth of planting to be. It is way better to plant it too high than too deep.
3. Make a bigger hole than you need.
4. Handle the tree with care. I did not do this once and broke the tree right off of the root system
sad.png
lessen learned.
5. After the tree is planted create a circle **** 1-2 feet in diameter with the dirt around the base of the tree. Like a bowl. This will allow you to fill with water. If you do not do this the water will just run off. This will help the tree all summer long!
6. Chips or some sort of mulch needs to go around the base of the tree to the drip line. It can cover up the bowl part also. The bigger the circle of mulch the better. This will keep the weeds at bay and keep the root system moist during the hot days of summer. Make sure at the very base of the tree you can see the dirt. So the mulch is not right up to the trunk. If you look at trees that have mulch (usually planted by the city or state) they make kind of a mountain of chips right up to the trunk. This is BAD and will kill the tree sooner or later.
7. Keep the area weed free. Weeds take the nutrition's from the tree.
8. put fence around the tree until it is bigger. Don't allow anything to eat the buds.
9. Finally, Make sure you water it 1 per week thru this summer. Then in the future if there is ever a drought water it.

I hope this is helpful. If you follow these steps the tree will grow at least twice as fast as if you do not.

Happy planting!

Just a post to say that I removed catalpa from my original list because my notes say that the roots are poisonous, and the seeds have a compound that can be toxic if eaten in large quantities. The original poster emphasized not wanting any toxic stuff because of children and critters.

Last edited:
Except for the purple poop, I would go for mulberry. The fruit is good to eat fresh if you are able to beat the birds to it (good luck with that). I have a catalpa tree, the birds don't seem to eat the seeds, but its messy and very prone to break off limbs in wind. My thinking is if you can get a tree that not only gives you the shade you want but beauty and feed for the birds, so much the better.

hey neighbor

i live in goose creek.......i have a maple in my yard....i love it and provides soooo much shade....and is gorgeous...i will tell you the cons....but the pro outweight the cons...dont plant it anywhere near where you plan to park...i will drop the stickiness on your vehicles...the helicopters that they drop will take root in a heartbeat...but if you have kids its wonderful because they will learn all about helicopters..

never plant a sweet gum unless you walk on cow hooves...i know i have 3 in my backyard...like wallking on carpet protectors that have been flipped over..then cut the grass and you will have a million flying projectiles....eyes out windows out skin removed....send everyone in the house when its time to cut the grass...

i have a mulberry tree planted in wagener sc.....a white one at that....really old...i dont see how these could be considered shade trees due to the fact that the one on my other property is a whopping 15ft tall...the white ones are ok for fruit only because they dont stain like the other mulberries...more than likely you wont get one mulberry off the tree thanks to the red birds we have here.

i have PLENTY of oaks.....which are gorgeous..but if you plan to plant that ANYWHERE near your house then you need to plan to replace your underground pipes in 10-15 years....

pine tree...are a no no in sc...not with hurricanes..not with the on and off drought...they will also destroy your pipes but in less time than an oak...but hey its free pine straw for the garden...

how about an american sycamore...NOW THAT IS A GORGEOUS TREE...however they do drop those balls like the sweetgum trees but they are not lethal...the balls from the sweet gum are soft like a ball of rabbit fir titghtly wound together and if you put any pressure on the balls they fall apart....so what im saying is they dont turn into flying projectiles..the leaves on my tree are the size of salad plates...its atleast 70 feet tall...and if im not mistaken all the leaves turn red in fall.

also never plant a magnolia tree...i know they are beautiful,smell delicious and have beautiful flowers...but believe me the cannonballs magnolias drop are not fun when you missed just one when its time to mow.

so in conclusion my suggestion would be to plant a maple or an american sycamore but not near the foundation of your house. it really doesnt matter what kind of maple you plant because i highly doubt that you will ever be able to tap it in south carolina weather..

oh and the sycamore tree also drops and amazing amount of dried branches great for fires..it drops alot more branches than any oak i have..

oh and i also need to say oaks are not gorgeous until they are so old that the branches touch the ground....

Back
Top Bottom