You know a little something about trees!? HELP ME!

oh and oaks trees may not be great with certain dogs mainly pits from my experience...

i had a pit that ate darn near every rotten acorn on the ground...she skipped right passed the new ones that dropped....if she didnt want to eat anymore she would bury them till they rotted or something then eat them weeks later...but acorns make pig meat very pricey...google pigs and acorns

acorns are supposedly poison to dogs but my dog ate them like she was at a buffet and never got sick...and i couldnt stop her from eating them...i could give her her food she would eat every tiny morsel then find some acorns to eat..

oaks will make you change your dogs water everytime a leaf drops into the bowl...the leaves also do something to the water. maybe makes the water toxic...

Acorns are not edible to humans and some other animals because they contain large amounts of tannic acid ("tannin"...the stuff that used to be used to "tan" hides). My guess is that the rotton acorns didn't make your pooch sick because the tannin had leached out. She probably could smell the tannin in the new acorns and avoided them.

Acorns are edible and nutritious if you remove the tannin. Long ago, Native American Indians of the Pacific Northwest ate acorns, by first grinding them into meal, then putting the meal in sand pits on the beach and pouring boiling water on it to leach the tannin out. The problem was, sand mixed with the meal, so by the age of 40, most Kwakiutls and other peoples had worn their molars down to the gum line! When I was taking anthropology courses in school, I saw the skull of a person who had done that (it was about 500 years old).

oh and oaks trees may not be great with certain dogs mainly pits from my experience...

i had a pit that ate darn near every rotten acorn on the ground...she skipped right passed the new ones that dropped....if she didnt want to eat anymore she would bury them till they rotted or something then eat them weeks later...but acorns make pig meat very pricey...google pigs and acorns

acorns are supposedly poison to dogs but my dog ate them like she was at a buffet and never got sick...and i couldnt stop her from eating them...i could give her her food she would eat every tiny morsel then find some acorns to eat..

oaks will make you change your dogs water everytime a leaf drops into the bowl...the leaves also do something to the water. maybe makes the water toxic...

I think you can grow figs there. Fast growing, beautiful to look at, provides lovely fruit, for both you and your livestock.

If you have enough chill hours, apricots grow quickly, are absolutely gorgeous, one of the most beautiful trees, have beautiful pink flowers in the spring, and provide tasty fruit for you and the livestock.

Oh yeah. You can plant a pecan tree in your area, but they are very slow growing. It's sure nice to have all those pecans for the Christmas baking.

My fastest growing trees have been the apricots and the one that is both fast and tall is a Bosc pear. You probably aren't cold enough for pears.

Back
Top Bottom