You know it's time to call the sheriff when...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Iowa Roo Mom, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Well, I was on my way to work tonight (another extra shift) and I was already in a bad mood. I got 3 hours of sleep, they called to see if I'd work (why I said yes, I still don't know) and I was in a bit of a hurry. I decided to take a shortcut because I was running behind... Yea, I may have been going a titch fast, but it was a gravel road and I was well under the maximum speed limit of 55 MPH. Granted, it's my fault because my mind was elsewhere, and I was crying... Well, I hit a dog. Right in front of a house, I hit a dog. He bounced off my front quarter panel and flipped and rolled into the ditch. This was just enough to take me from quietly crying in my car, to a sobbing, snot-bubbling mess. I got out and the dog was still alive, but one of his front legs was beyond repair. I'll save you the details. He had no collar, but I knew he was someone's pet. Anyhow, to make matters worse, I see a man running towards me. I knew this was their dog. I was expecting him to be upset, but I was not expecting what happened next.

The next thing I know, before I can even begin utter an apology, the man is in my face, screaming at me. I mean, obscenities, threats, the whole works. At first, I didn't know what to do. I just kind of stood there, in shock. But haivng worked in the ER, my instincts quickly took over, and I knew something was not right. His fury was not the fury of an upset dog owner, and it was escelating by the nanosecond to the rage of a man high on something and out of his mind. His eyes sent a chill all the way down my back, and I knew I would be in trouble if I did not do something, NOW. There was no talking to this man, and it was like lightning it all happened so fast. I did not want to leave this dog in the ditch, still suffering, but I could not risk my own safety. (The part of this story that makes me the most upset) So, without turning my back to this enraged idiot, I slowly made my way to the car, then to the door, then inside, and locked the doors and drove off. I watched him in the rear-vier mirror. He hit the trunk of my car as I was driving away, screamed at me, and then he disappeared into the dust I was leaving as I was racing away.

I didn't even think to call the sheriff then. I just wanted out of there. And if you thought I was crying before, you should have seen me after that. I was a mess. The first thing I did when I got to the highway was call work and tell them why I would be late. I still hadn't thought about calling the law. But as soon as I got to work, the charge nurse told me I needed to call the sheriff and make a report. So I did, and they sent an officer out to the ER to talk to me. The benefit of working in the ER is that you get to know some of the local LEO's pretty good, and I knew the one who came out to talk to me. Of course I had no idea what the address was, but I did know the name of the road, and sort-of what the house and surroundings were. I told him what happened, and he said he was going out to talk to this guy. I asked him to check on the dog.

Well, another benefit of working in the ER is that the EMT's have a scanner in dispatch. So, I tried to listen to the scanner, but we were busy. About an hour later the deputy came back and asked me if I wanted to press charges. I told him no, but I did ask about the dog. He patted me on the shoulder and told me the dog was still in the ditch when he arrived. Since the dog had no collar, and the man just left him there for the coyotes, he made the decision to put him down.

The man never did come to the door, even after the shot was fired.

I just want to crawl under a rock and die. What a horrible weekend it has been.

2. BHyder1

BHyder1 In the Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Missouri
    Oh, my gosh.. how horrible for you! I am so sorry. You are lucky you made it safely to work!

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Crowing

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I'm so very sorry. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It sounds like a bad day took a really dirty turn for the worse.

It was not your fault, good pet owners don't let their dogs run. If the owner really cared, the dog would not have been there for the deputy to find.

No matter what the donkey's butt said, don't think any of it was true.

I hope the coming week goes much better for you.

4. nonseq

nonseq Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    OMG That is horrible. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow Terrah, you really do need to take some time to yourself. Your incredibly hectic schedule is starting to catch up to you. You know I love you, so I feel ok saying this: If you were taking better care of yourself, you would have slept better, not been so worn down, and paying more attention instead of crying in your car. You are on the edge, please take a step back so you don't fall off.

And a BIG FAT [​IMG] to that idiot with an unleashed dog and too much illegal whatevers in his system. [​IMG]

Ok - everyone, I am NOT bashing my dear friend, just so you know. She is a full time student and a full time ER tech training to be a nurse. She needs some ME time.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010

6. HenPen

HenPen Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    So sorry for your terrible weekend,I hope what ever set you to tears to begin with is resolved soon and find peace that the dog is in a safer place then living with that crazy man.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    [​IMG] What a horrible day!! I'm so sorry that happened to you, but I'm so, so glad that you decided to leave when you did. If he was on something (and it sounds like he was!!), you were in a VERY dangerous position. [​IMG]

I'm so sorry for your horrible day!

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Oh, how horrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you. You had to have been in shock after such an accident, I can understand not thinking completely clearly to call the police immediately and the owner didn't make things any better. You did the right thing though, getting away from him when you did was wise.

Thankfully the officer followed up and investigated. Try to remember that accidents happen and that you did the right thing. [​IMG]

9. 42Chickens

42Chickens In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Dillsboro, Indiana
    Wow, This Is Pretty Harsh For An Animal Lover. Glad To Hear That You Took Action. I Would Have Tried To Put The Dog In My Truck. The Entire Scene Sounds Like It Sucked.
    Sorry.
    What Was The Man Screaming About If He Left His Dog In The Ditch To Die A Horrible Death? What Was He So Mad About? Could It Be For Love Of His Dog? Noooo!
    Tell Work No And Get Some Rest. It Is Easy!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by