You know your family loves your chickens when...

I live in Arkansas and there are wild pigs everywhere. My neighbors keep their freezers full all the time. One of our neighbors gave us a front quarter to let them drive it out of our side of the property. It taste like any pork. They are a terrible nuisance. Digging and eating up gardens, they will kill your dogs, cats or any other small critter. We don't have a rifle or a shotgun but we are working on getting one. We have seen a bear on a couple times in the last two weeks. I worry about that more than anything right now. We also have a huge bobcat nearby that comes through now and then. My son saw a coyote by our house one night. I lock up my birds at night but if a bear really wanted in, he would find a way. The same goes for the other critters. We have lots of rabbits, squirrels, and deer, along with fruiting bushes and trees, hickory trees (nuts) and oak trees (acorns) for the wild game so the birds have been doing alright for now. We also see an occasional hawk flying over but I have lots of ground cover. Something did get the head off one of my little birds, through a chicken tractor but didn't come back for more. We've also saw a pack rat in the coup one night. I set out poison which has disappeared so maybe it or they are gone now.

What part of AR are you from? As far as the predators I've been told by some of my older friends that if they are going after your livestock you have the right to take care of the problem. I have not seen any wild pigs around where we are. Though would love to see some when I'm out deer hunting, would end up with pork if nothing else.

What part of AR are you from? As far as the predators I've been told by some of my older friends that if they are going after your livestock you have the right to take care of the problem. I have not seen any wild pigs around where we are. Though would love to see some when I'm out deer hunting, would end up with pork if nothing else.

I live in Waldron and we have pigs everywhere. I used to live in Shirley, AR and there were pigs there too. If you had pigs someone would be talking about it. There isn't a hunting season on pigs so they can be shot anytime, although most people don't like to kill meat here during hot weather. They figure that cold water gets rid of the sickly or weak animals. We don't have a gun but would like to get one. I've heard that pigs are wily and hard to hunt. I've seen their tracks in our driveway. Right now I'm worried about a bear that we've seen at least 3 times in the last month. My kids are always playing outside. It is under my impression that if animals have a season you must hunt them during the season. I imagine if it is physically attacking then you can shoot it. I'm going to talk to the Fish and Game people and see what I can find out.

I don't know where you live but here in Arkansas you will get a huge fine if you shoot a hawk, or any bird of prey for that matter. It doesn't matter if they are going after your livestock. Unfortunately the raptures have the law on their side. If you are speaking hypothetically of course that's another matter, lol.

Air rifles are probably included as a no no, though I have my doubts whether it would scare off much less kill a hawk. As far as turkey vultures go, I don't think they want their food fresh on the hoof (feet) so to speak.

That said, many predator birds are found dead from rifles. Just a few months ago my sons and I found a screech owl lying on road. I don't think a screech owl is big enough to take down a chicken but it was dead none the less.

I'm in NJ, same as the OP. Officially I know it is illegal to be shooting at raptors, but we've spoken to people from the state Fish & Wildlife and "off the books" they will tell you that if something is on your property attacking your animals, to do what's necessary to protect your own.

I'm not advocating going on a killing spree, but hypothetically, if a hawk stooped on our birds, it would be time for the 3 S's here.

I'm in NJ, same as the OP. Officially I know it is illegal to be shooting at raptors, but we've spoken to people from the state Fish & Wildlife and "off the books" they will tell you that if something is on your property attacking your animals, to do what's necessary to protect your own.

I'm not advocating going on a killing spree, but hypothetically, if a hawk stooped on our birds, it would be time for the 3 S's here.
hide.gif
Hypothetically, roos are not allowed in our township... Perhaps I will name the next one "Hypothetical!"

Back
Top Bottom