You know you're a backyard chicken owner when...

Pics
I know geese are amazing I suppose ours are Embdens and they weigh the same as a 6 year old child and poop A LOT but, people need to realise geese are very kind creatures and only get aggressive if they see you as a threat. Poultry are one of the most abused animals on the planet and it needs to stop!
wp_ss_20180125_0003.png

I know geese are amazing I suppose ours are Embdens and they weigh the same as a 6 year old child and poop A LOT but, people need to realise geese are very kind creatures and only get aggressive if they see you as a threat. Poultry are one of the most abused animals on the planet and it needs to stop!View attachment 1246264
I have 6 ex battery hens. I got them in august. Two could only be described as oven ready:(. No feathers apart from there head and end of wings. Combs were nearly white. Long claws and wonky beaks. There was a rehoming for 200 18 month old hens that were going for slaughter. I wanted to take every single one home with me. I could have cried. It was so sad seeing them cast off as 'past it'. Fortunately they all had homes to go to. Mine are doing really well. All feathered up, claws scratched down and beaks gone normal. They are still abit rough round the edges but they are so friendly. I still get 3-4 eggs from them but it was never about that with them. They served there purpose for cheap eggs. If they never layed again I would still be happy. We owe it to them.
DSC_0118.JPG

This was there first moments of freedom.
_20180124_191736.JPG

Straight to the bath.
_20180124_191552.JPG

Dinky. Before feathers.
_20180124_192005.JPG

Dinky. With feathers:).
I know six hens isn't many but it was all I have with the space I've got. We owe it to them to give something back.

I have 6 ex battery hens. I got them in august. Two could only be described as oven ready:(. No feathers apart from there head and end of wings. Combs were nearly white. Long claws and wonky beaks. There was a rehoming for 200 18 month old hens that were going for slaughter. I wanted to take every single one home with me. I could have cried. It was so sad seeing them cast off as 'past it'. Fortunately they all had homes to go to. Mine are doing really well. All feathered up, claws scratched down and beaks gone normal. They are still abit rough round the edges but they are so friendly. I still get 3-4 eggs from them but it was never about that with them. They served there purpose for cheap eggs. If they never layed again I would still be happy. We owe it to them.View attachment 1246336
This was there first moments of freedom.View attachment 1246342
Straight to the bath.View attachment 1246347
Dinky. Before feathers.View attachment 1246348
I know six hens isn't many but it was all I have with the space I've got. We owe it to them to give something back.
Bless you for taking in these poor chickens and nursing them back to health. :hugs I wish there were more widespread ex-battery hens rescued in the USA.

I have 6 ex battery hens. I got them in august. Two could only be described as oven ready:(. No feathers apart from there head and end of wings. Combs were nearly white. Long claws and wonky beaks. There was a rehoming for 200 18 month old hens that were going for slaughter. I wanted to take every single one home with me. I could have cried. It was so sad seeing them cast off as 'past it'. Fortunately they all had homes to go to. Mine are doing really well. All feathered up, claws scratched down and beaks gone normal. They are still abit rough round the edges but they are so friendly. I still get 3-4 eggs from them but it was never about that with them. They served there purpose for cheap eggs. If they never layed again I would still be happy. We owe it to them.View attachment 1246336

I'm so glad other people take pride in saving the life of poultry that deserves more than a place on a dinner table they deserve a family, a home .

Thankyou. We have the British Hen Welfare Trust (and others)in UK who work tirelessly rehoming hens. They also campaign for higher welfare standards for commercial hens and have been quite successful. They have managed to rehome over 600,000 hens. I read on a forum on here that it is very difficult in US to rehome. I think that all commercial farm should be required to offer rehoming before slaughter. They deserve better.

:love :love

Thank you for giving these birds a second chance. They are so lovely and are so lucky to have a safe and loving home with you. :) If only more people could understand the conditions that all these hens are living through when they buy from KFC and such... :(

I know geese are amazing I suppose ours are Embdens and they weigh the same as a 6 year old child and poop A LOT but, people need to realise geese are very kind creatures and only get aggressive if they see you as a threat. Poultry are one of the most abused animals on the planet and it needs to stop!View attachment 1246264
I love that...:highfive:

Thank you for giving these birds a second chance. They are so lovely and are so lucky to have a safe and loving home with you. :) If only more people could understand the conditions that all these hens are living through when they buy from KFC and such... :(
I don't think majority of people really care. All they want is cheap eggs and cheap chicken. I eat chicken (not my own!) I couldn't bring myself to do 'the deed'! and I never need to buy eggs. I always look at where it had come from and never buy any that isn't British and free range. And it must have grown on trees!

I don't think majority of people really care. All they want is cheap eggs and cheap chicken. I eat chicken (not my own!) I couldn't bring myself to do 'the deed'! and I never need to buy eggs. I always look at where it had come from and never buy any that isn't British and free range. And it must have grown on trees!
There is some truth to that, sadly. :( Oh yes same! That's good.

Back
Top Bottom