You might be a “Southie” if...

Also, there may be several different pronunciations depending on who you’re talking to: uff da, ooffta, woofda, etc. They may even occasionally come from the the same person depending on the circumstances… personally, uff da is when you have a large exhausting task ahead of you. And ooffta is when you just ran into a table. Now I know, I know. I’m not a northerner, we’ve already established that, however, it is a commonly used term in the more northern south.
These are Southie pronunciation of a truly Northern word. I appreciate your playing along, but a Southie you naturally screwed it up.

Uff Da is an expression. It can mean a ton of things.. here are some examples..

Maury: my wife is pregnant, but my girlfriend is too.

Me; uff dah ( in the you are screwed tone)

When lifting something heavy and you feel a pull in your gut or groin, that is a proper time to say uff da with a painful tone.

If the Pastor is telling the congregation how great they did on a charity drive..

The proper response is “uff da” in a happy tone.

If you shoot a big buck or land a huge fish then the word “uff da” should be used.

When I stretch my knee and it cramps, that’s the time for uff da.

Does this help?
YES! Love it, THANKS!
Also, there may be several different pronunciations depending on who you’re talking to: uff da, ooffta, woofda, etc. They may even occasionally come from the the same person depending on the circumstances… personally, uff da is when you have a large exhausting task ahead of you. And ooffta is when you just ran into a table. Now I know, I know. I’m not a northerner, we’ve already established that, however, it is a commonly used term in the more northern south.
I might use woofda if the dog tips over the trash....🐕

So a Southie?

1642806456335.png

Back
Top Bottom