You might be a “Southie” if...

Pics
lol! Yep, I've heard those too, "Lands sake" is new to me though. :lau

"Bless your heart" Is a phrase that always sticks out to me because it's like this backhanded way of saying "You dumba**" under the guise of sympathy, lol.

Exclamations specifically, I've heard.
"Hell's Bells!"
"What in tarnation?!"
"I do declare!"
"Well I never!"

And when coming from a lady a hand is usually pressed to their chest when they say it, as if their heart is literally going to hop out of their chest from their shock at someone's audacity.
Yep, you’re right. My granddaddy used to say “What in tarnation!” all the time.

a couple other Southie exclamations: Good Gravy!
Good gravy and the ground tore up......
Lands Sake
In all my born days

anyone have others to contribute?
My grandma grew up in the hills of West Virginia and was the “Southiest Southie” you’d ever meet. She had hundreds of crazy Southie sayings. One that stuck with me, for some reason was:
“He has two brains....one’s the size of a pea, and the other is a little bitty thing”

Thinking about all my grandmas sayings also reminded me of her cooking. It was so fattening, but so good....eggs fried in bacon grease, flaky pie crust made with lard, fried chicken and biscuits! Also loved to hear her talk. All us kids would make fun when she’d say aluminum foil, which came out sounding more like “al-you-min-eee-um full”. I wonder what some of the people from her era would have to say about the world today?

Thinking about all my grandmas sayings also reminded me of her cooking. It was so fattening, but so good....eggs fried in bacon grease, flaky pie crust made with lard, fried chicken and biscuits! Also loved to hear her talk. All us kids would make fun when she’d say aluminum foil, which came out sounding more like “al-you-min-eee-um full”. I wonder what some of the people from her era would have to say about the world today?

My parents and grandparents called it tin foil.

Back
Top Bottom