You might be a “Southie” if...

View attachment 2139360

We have a lot of boats up here too, which is why I posted the original of this photo on the bee thread so many asked why I had 3 boats.
View attachment 2139375

These are not all my boats, if you looked closely in the google earth photo you would see 2 canoes 2 fourteen foot boats, a 12 foot boat, and a pontoon. I also have 2 kayaks but as most know those mainly hang in the shed for the turkeys to nest in.

all total I have 10 boats.

We were in Southie land and went to a home and the owner was bragging about being on a lake. We were outside and I looked for the lake and did not see one, so I asked the guy, “where’s the lake?” Thinking he had more acreage than it appeared and the lake was behind trees or something.

He pointed to this little “dux slough” and said “right there”.

I did an oops and said, “oh, so that’s what they call a lake in Florida.”

Sorry, Dux sloughs should not be counted as lakes.
Can’t imagine there being enough different water things to do to actually warrant having 10 dang boats. That’s unbelievable! However, it does prove one thing to me...that you’re a water lover which means you really need some ducks! Plain and simple!

Can’t imagine there being enough different water things to do to actually warrant having 10 dang boats. That’s unbelievable! However, it does prove one thing to me...that you’re a water lover which means you really need some ducks! Plain and simple!
Dux dirty clean water.

Depending on where I am and what I am doing with the boat determines the boat I will use.

for instance:

dux hunting requires the 12 ft boat or a canoe.

The boundary waters require canoes, which means we need them both.

If we have guests at the cabin we need both 14 ft boats, it’s hard to fish more than 2 people out of a boat.

If we have kids wanting to just joy ride we use the pontoon or if the kids want to panfish.

The large boat is for Lake Superior or if I want to go to the gulf and catch inferior Southie fish like grouper.

The Skiff is my favorite and the one I use the most.

The kayaks are for streams. Small lake fishing or turkey brooding. :lau

The 14 ft Lowe in the picture is for places with poor landings and water not big enough to use the skiff (18ft) on.

One of the other 14 footers and the 12 ft are light enough to carry or drag to remote water that need fishing.

Has anyone here used a Layens hive? I think that's the way I want to go--only double-walled with foam board between the walls. I might leave room on top for a quilt, and I do intend a peaked roof/cover over all. (And yes, the hive will stay wherever I put it forever.)

Would it be better to size it for two (stacked) deep frames, or two medium frames (I think the medium ones I've seen illustrated have been connected side by side, standing on their sides.) Is it easier to extract medium or deep frames? Will the doubled deep frames be too hard for me to lift out if full? I'm pretty strong, but I don't want to make a mess and I have no idea how heavy they'll be.

I'll probably mount it on green 4x4s (unless the green treatment would harm the bees... it won't be inside the hive.)

Has anyone here used a Layens hive? I think that's the way I want to go--only double-walled with foam board between the walls. I might leave room on top for a quilt, and I do intend a peaked roof/cover over all. (And yes, the hive will stay wherever I put it forever.)

Would it be better to size it for two (stacked) deep frames, or two medium frames (I think the medium ones I've seen illustrated have been connected side by side, standing on their sides.) Is it easier to extract medium or deep frames? Will the doubled deep frames be too hard for me to lift out if full? I'm pretty strong, but I don't want to make a mess and I have no idea how heavy they'll be.

I'll probably mount it on green 4x4s (unless the green treatment would harm the bees... it won't be inside the hive.)
B46FE7F1-F806-4D17-98BB-DC3ED9EB814C.png

remember you will have to take it apart now and then, for maintenance, checking on bees in the bottom super, if you change bottom boards from winter to summer and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom