young and old

penquin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Okay, I have 1barred rock, 1 spotted Sussex, 1 black copper maron, 1 easter egg, that are going on five months all but the rock who is six months.
Now I have eight chicks who were born 44 days ago, 2 rhode Island res, 3light brahmas, 2 Australorps and 1 Australorp roo.
this is the only roo I have. I am trying to introduce the chicks to their elders but it almost became bloody. I have had them in the pen while their elders stand on the outside watching the chicks off and on for the past week and they seemed not to care much about the chicks, they were just there and it seemed to not bother the elders much. Today I introduced the all in the pen and it went down hill from there.
The rock pecked anything that moved, the sussex went after the brahmas, the maron went after the australorp, and the easter egger went after the rhode Island reds.
It seemed like a well coordinated attack, like they were making plans while they watched them from the other side of the fence. Not sure what to do next, any ideas?

Well they are going to peck at each other at first, their just trying to figure out the pecking order. I would put the young ones back in the pen with the big ones for a little while each day, as long as it doesn't get really violent, and watch them while they're together, then once they are about 3 months old you can leave them in :)

I would wait until they are 60 days old before permanently putting them in there. But in the mean time, you could introduce them in there for a little time each day so they get used to eachother. Make sure they have enough space, if they dont, the older ones will get bored and start pecking the younger ones even more. Hope it all goes well
smile.png

Thank you for ya'lls advice. I have let the elders in with the chicks and today there is only one elder that is hard on them, the rest just peck once or twice to remind thte chicks that they will follow. Again thank you all.

Yeah, I am not sure that I agree with the "visiting" method of introducing them. That causes the elders to have to refigure the pecking order with each visit.

It sounds like they have already worked it out, but I would put them in with the elders, give them an escape area (where only the youngsters can go), and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom