Young Barred Rock Bloody And Poopy Vent Issue - Urgent

That sounds reasonable. The earliest that could be done is tomorrow afternoon when I get back from school, because it's my dad mostly who wants to wait for it to solve itself. I hope it doesn't get too dry before that. The prolapse is now a little grey and seems to have black streaks I hope are scabs. She is still eating, drinking, and pooping a little.

You can give the shell and a small amount of yogurt, but it will not have the same quick uptake nor the amount of extra calcium that she needs.

The prolapsed tissue needs to be kept moist with ointment, oil or honey to keep it from drying out and dying (turning necrotic). With it turning grey with black, the blood flow to the tissue may be restricted or the tissue is drying out.

Rarely, the tissue will go back in on its own. It would be a good idea if you can get your Dad on board to help you with this.

What technique should I use to push in the tissue? All I can really find online is "be gentle" but how should my hand be moving? What parts of the prolapsed vent do I apply pressure? Do I lightly squeeze it or just push down? If anyone has a video that would be best.

Okay, we got some calcium pills for her to take. It's a little difficult trying to pop it into her mouth like I did with another hen with b12 supplements, and she isn't interested in it crumbled up with yogurt, so right now I've put some dissolved into her water. I will try to use a syringe tomorrow if that works. I gave her a nice and productive soak and we tried pushing it back into her and while it made some progress, it was still too swollen to go in all the way. Tomorrow we'll try again with a better technique. The prolapsed tissue is much less grey and I have been applying anti-inflammatory ointment every twelve hours to help heal and keep it moist. I think our efforts are making progress, as the tissue seems less swollen and further back into her.
Questions: the hydrocortisone I am using warns the user not to take it internally, so I didn't apply any before pushing the prolapse due to me and my father's concern that it could mess up her insides. Is that a real issue? Or is it fine in this situation? Also, I've been told to avoid layer feed for a while and to give her something like whole corn kernels. I have used oats, and I'm wondering if that's bad. Is it?

Still not there but still making progress. It feels like I can help push it in until it just stops, as it still doesn't fit and adding more force could hurt the vent and her tissue. However, the overlap of the tissue and the vent is much smaller and I can physically see a passageway for her vent on the right side, so the exposed tissue seems to have receded a little. She seems to move less but still has an appetite. She ate a little calcium when I mixed it with yogurt and pressed it to her beak. I have become suspicious of her crop, so I will be recording how it feels each morning and night and I'll report it here if it is suspicious. Is it normal for a prolapse to improve gradually? Each day the tissue seems to be further in or smaller, I can't really say which for sure. Also, I think she has lice, which I have treated before with another flock. I think I will wait to resolve the prolapse first, as I don't want to apply treatment with sensitive tissue still exposed. Poor girl.

I'm glad she's still making progress.

Keep trying to get the Calcium into her. I usually just pop the tablet right into the beak and let them swallow it.
See that she's drinking well and eating.
She's still able to poop correct?

It can take days and days to resolve a prolapse and it's not uncommon that the tissue will continue to stay out until swelling goes down. Keep up the good work taking care of.

If she has lice, then it would be a good idea to start working on eliminating them too. You can rub a little Permethrin dust into her feathers if you wish. Whatever ointment you have slathered on her exposed tissue will help protect the tissue if you happen to get any on there and of course it would rinse off the tissue during her next soaking.

I'm glad she's still making progress.

Keep trying to get the Calcium into her. I usually just pop the tablet right into the beak and let them swallow it.
See that she's drinking well and eating.
She's still able to poop correct?

It can take days and days to resolve a prolapse and it's not uncommon that the tissue will continue to stay out until swelling goes down. Keep up the good work taking care of.

If she has lice, then it would be a good idea to start working on eliminating them too. You can rub a little Permethrin dust into her feathers if you wish. Whatever ointment you have slathered on her exposed tissue will help protect the tissue if you happen to get any on there and of course it would rinse off the tissue during her next soaking.
She's still able to poop. Permethrin dust is what I normally use to treat lice so I'll use a little, but still with extreme caution near the tissue. Thank you for replying and helping so much!

Back
Top Bottom