Young Barred Rock Bloody And Poopy Vent Issue - Urgent

Pics

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
This flock of barred rocks are not yet a year old, but they have reached laying maturity and have been laying for a few weeks now. One of them had a poopy butt which I thought was normal because their was no evidence for vent gleet. Tonight I found a hen shaking underneath the coop's house/roost area. She wasn't with her roosting flock mates and I was worried she was exhausted. I checked her over and at first I noticed that her crop was slightly squishy, but not to the point of a reason to worry. Then I checked her vent and it was super poopy and I found blood. It seemed like a ball was over her vent, covered in poop and blood with some dripping down. I didn't touch it much for fear of injuring her further. I have her in a separate enclosure with some fresh wood shavings and water. I haven't given her a bath, in case the problem is worms or something else exacerbated by water (it has been raining heavily today). I am thinking that she may have a prolapsed vent or a bound egg, but I don't know and I'm worried that time is running out.
Some more information: her comb has flopped over to the left completely and seems to have some scabs, her flock had a big problem with pasty butts and at one point as chicks almost all of them had pasty butts sealing their vents, she is making quiet weird gurgling and popping noises, and a hen ( I don't know if it is her) has been laying several shell-less eggs at seeming random which my dad said was due to their being young.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. A photo should be posted below, I took it myself so it doesn't get the full picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_210648726.jpg
    IMG_20230422_210648726.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 284
I can't help with diagnosing the issue, but I would suggest bringing her inside and soaking her backside with warm water to loosen the poop that's clogging up the area. Gently clean off her vent and feathers, and let us know what you find -- having a good look at the affected area might offer some more pointers as to what the problem is.
I hope that someone with more experience can come by soon. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom