Young Bird, Weak Legs

aggieterpkatie

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Maryland
I have an approximately 8-9 week old Whiting True Green pullet that is not able to walk. She is from McMurray and was vaccinated for Marek's.

She's been with about 15 other birds her age in my barn, until a week ago when I moved them to an outdoor pen with 3 adult chickens from my other flock.

The young birds have been eating medicated chick starter. Yesterday I noticed this girl couldn't walk. I held her to make sure she could eat and drink, which she did.

She's now in a small cage with food and water. She's alert, has a good appetite, and normal poop. She will scoot to food and water. I have given her 2 doses of poultry Nutridrench. Her legs still seem floppy and will flop around as she moves, sometimes one being in front and one being behind her, like a split.

From what I've read, it could be a thiamine deficiency, or possibly Marek's. Is it common to get Marek's in vaccinated birds? The chicks were totally isolated for their first 7+ weeks.

Any ideas would be great. I could also try to take a video or pics if that would help. Thank you!

Can you get a video of her?

What exactly have you been feeding her and are your older birds vaccinated for Marek's too?

Can you get a video of her?

What exactly have you been feeding her and are your older birds vaccinated for Marek's too?

She has either gotten Homestead medicated chick starter or medicated Purina Start & Grow. No, my older birds are not vaccinated.

I just found your thread because one of my chicks is doing the same thing. I lost one a few weeks ago also, so this is actually the second of my chicks.

What happened to your bird?

From what I understand, there are 3 types of Marek's. The eye issue is a different type than the paralyzing one.

Back
Top Bottom