young chicken could not stand after dusting with sevin.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
i have notice that my chickens have been lifting their wings and pecking,i suspect lice,mites or both.i dusted some of them last night with sevin.when they had went to roost.i was told by a friend to turn them upside down,hold them by the legs.than dust under wings,belly and vent.which i did.when i went to set the chicken down she could not stand up and was panting.i took her outside of the coop and held her until she stopped panting and was able to stand.i worried for hours that i had done some harm to her by dusting with sevin.is their something else that i could use beside sevin dust.Bottom line i DON'T LIKE USEING SEVIN.

It wasnt the sevin dust. It was when you turned them upside down that made them ill, especially if they had full crops and bellyfull of feed. You'd get sick too if you were turned upside down with a bellyfull of food.

It was probably the holding her upside down not the Seven. Chicken anatomy being what it is when held upside down their digestive organs move forward & press against the lungs.The duration they can stand this varies from individual to individual. Sounds like your bird didn't tolerate it well. Hold them upside down long enough they'll die.
Having dusted hundreds of birds with Seven over the years I'm pretty confident it wasn't the Seven. I find that dusting under the tail is adequate & you don't need to hold them upside down to do that.

thanks dawg.thats what my dh said.but he said thats the way you handle chickens.i will never do it again.what is your suggestion on treating them besides using sevin.i do not like to use any pestisides.

they were all fine this a:m.lessoned learned never again.i do not like any pestisides at all.

oh my to think i could have killed my flock.i would have never been able to forgive myself.

Again, it has nothing to do with the sevin dust. If they have lice or mites, put a bunch of sevin dust in an old pillow case. Put the chicken in the pillow case with its head sticking out the top. Grab the pillow case around the chickens neck and hold on to it. Then gently roll the chicken around inside the pillow case, "shake and bake," getting the dust all over the chicken.
Then remove the chicken and use your fingers to rub some sevin dust on the neck and head areas, avoid the eyes and nostrils. Then release the chicken, she'll shake herself off and go about her business. Repeat this procedure in 7-10 days. Dust the inside of the coop, nests, and roosts. Repeat again in 7-10 days.
Wear chicken clothes, chicken shoes and a mask while dusting.

Sevin is a safe product to use on all types of chickens, we also recommend using sevin dust powder (found in your garden center) at our vet clinic with no side effects. Do not over dust the chickens use a very light dusting. Or like Dawg55 suggested in a old pillow case. Using Sevin is better then having your feathered friends suffer miserably from lice/bugs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom