Chicken behaving weird after Elector PSP treatment

Kirklasu

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023

Chicken behaving weird after Elector PSP treatment​

After a few minutes my chicken began shivering or trembling behind her neck / head and continually trying to clean the liquid off herself. She appeared to like the application and almost went to sleep like in a trance. She appeared a bit unsteady / drunk for a moment when I put her down. She also walked in slow motion lifting her legs like she was marching in slow motion.
The temperature outside was 20 degrees C (almost 70 degrees F) in the shade and it’s a sunny day. She has, however, after 5 minutes outside chosen to come into our house and stand in the sun with no breeze.
She wasn’t well before treatment and this is the first time I’ve treated a chicken with Elector PSP
Will she be ok?

It sounds more like a vitamin deficiency to me. If you don't have anything, I'd buy some Nutra Drench. That goes in their water and absorbs in their bodies fast. Poultry Cell and Rooster Booster are also good.

If she wasn't well before treatment, this medication may have made her worse, or the stress of being handled and bathed may have stressed her and made her symptoms worse. Wash her with Dawn and warm water and keep her warm and dry. Offer her water-I like to use Cantaloupe for my sick poultry-the added sugar really seems to perk them up. Isolate her and observe her for the next 24 hours. Offer her small amounts of her favorite food-don't over-feed her as her crop may not function normally at this point. If she doesn't improve she will need a thorough exam. A visit to a vet is recommended.

It sounds more like a vitamin deficiency to me. If you don't have anything, I'd buy some Nutra Drench. That goes in their water and absorbs in their bodies fast. Poultry Cell and Rooster Booster are also good.
Thank you so much. I will do that as she’s been under the weather for some time and we’ve not tried that. Cheers

If she wasn't well before treatment, this medication may have made her worse, or the stress of being handled and bathed may have stressed her and made her symptoms worse. Wash her with Dawn and warm water and keep her warm and dry. Offer her water-I like to use Cantaloupe for my sick poultry-the added sugar really seems to perk them up. Isolate her and observe her for the next 24 hours. Offer her small amounts of her favorite food-don't over-feed her as her crop may not function normally at this point. If she doesn't improve she will need a thorough exam. A visit to a vet is recommended.
Thank you for your help. I will definitely take your advice. Really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom