Young chickens - do they have the sense to find their feeder and waterer out in the run?

User395221

Crowing
Jan 3, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
I've brought home 2 young girls today (one 8-9 wks, on 12 wks) from the chook farm. They are in a chook house with an attached run. The waterer hangs in the run and I've put their crumble out there as well. They are (understandably) a bit "freaked out" at their new surroundings and being together on their own away from all the other chooks they were in with, and they are sitting inside the house.

I've never dealt with young birds before, I've only adopted adults. Will they go outside and explore and find their supplies, or could they just stay in there, clueless? It's not overly hot today, but it is summer, so I would not want them not to be drinking. Should I also put some dishes inside for them, or will they be ok with their supplies in the run?

I'd put food and water where they are until they are brave enough to explore. After that, they'll find it.

Never let chickens go without water if you can avoid it.

Last edited:
thanks, I'll put a dish inside and hope that they don't turn it into a damp area, they're only small so hopefully they won't fling it everywhere and wet their bedding.

I'm not that concerned about them knocking it over, these ones are tiny little girls, and if they aren't trying to go through the door they should keep clear....

They seemed terrified of the bowls. I expect they've never come across them before. it must be so scary coming out "into the world" when you've been cooped up with a whole heap of other chickens your whole young life. I don't blame them for being scared. I hope they settle down soon and learn to trust me. Poor little things, it's awful scaring them when you are just trying to be nice. At least they've got each other to snuggle up with and hopefully feel safe with.

Eventually they'll know you are the one that brings food and they'll appreciate that.
If I were you, I would get more now before it becomes harder to add more later.
You'll eat a lot more eggs when you start getting delicious fresh ones from your backyard.

I can't get more - we're only allowed 6 and I've already got 4. These new girls will bring me to my limit. I hope they're all right out there. (I'm lucky I'm not a farmer, I'd never be able to sleep at night worrying about everything)

EDIT: Update, went out to check on the new girls as it was starting to get dark and they were out in the run having a good look around.... typical
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom