Young chickens dying HELP!!

Oh one more thing I forgot ... When any hatchery ships to Hawaii, whatever flight it's on has to arrive on Oahu/Dept of Ag Quarrantine Station. If flight the chicks arrive on MUST arrive during working hours, or they don't get cleared/continue to their destination until the next day ... Same goes of shipped eggs, there's also a form and requirements from whomever is shipping. Living in Hawaii has many challenges as we depend on shipments whether by air and/or ocean (that's another story)
I'm on the big island, east side in the area of Mountain View

Oh one more thing I forgot ... When any hatchery ships to Hawaii, whatever flight it's on has to arrive on Oahu/Dept of Ag Quarrantine Station. If flight the chicks arrive on MUST arrive during working hours, or they don't get cleared/continue to their destination until the next day ... Same goes of shipped eggs, there's also a form and requirements from whomever is shipping. Living in Hawaii has many challenges as we depend on shipments whether by air and/or ocean (that's another story)
Our batch was shipped on the 14th and I picked them up from the post office at 10am on the 17th.
Based on my understanding of the coccidiosis timeline, it would be easily possible that none of the chicks had been showing any symptoms when they got to Oahu for inspection.

That picture is surely not intestinal lining ... I would call the Quarantine Station to inform them and I would also get McMurray on the phone. Problem. with them is the time difference and they'll just refund you or mail you out more chicks.

Wish I knew who you spoke to at TSC, I've seen it on the shelf in the back, left hand corner where they keep their chicken stuff ... Possible they're out or you got a "newbie" there, the turn over is nuts. Glad you were able to get some, Amazon carries but takes time to get here. Petco don't carry and their employees not familiar with poultry, nor have I seen any products in the store. Miranda's out of stock but that means it's available and used.

That picture is surely not intestinal lining ... I would call the Quarantine Station to inform them and I would also get McMurray on the phone. Problem. with them is the time difference and they'll just refund you or mail you out more chicks.
Yeah. My girlfriend compiled a timeline with time stamped photos of the dying chicks.
Unfortunately she didn't get photos of the foamy poop that preceded both of the chicks who had similarly bloody poop.
They were dropping like flies and she was beyond flustered trying to keep things clean, trying to save the remainders, etc.

But yeah, we're just going to be buying locally from now on. Even tho there's apparently a 'market' in Hilo of people literally just ordering sexed chicks from hatcheries and then listing them online for 2 or 3 times the price.

Two of the three vet offices I reached out to locally recommended I contact a highly regarded avian virologist/pathologist on our neighboring island of Oahu.
We've saved the birds to send off for necropsy.
Based on the photos, videos, and descriptions provided to the actual professionals, they're all highly suspecting that the chicks arrived infected and dying to coccidiosis.

After I get results and actual info from people way smarter than I am I will make a new post
Please update this thread with these results.
I am really interested in seeing what the results are.

Back
Top Bottom