young chicks with eye injury/illness???

Lilslinkfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Jane, MO
I noticed 3 days ago one of my 5 week old chicks was keeping one eye closed and then the next day 2 more were. They are at the age that they've started pecking at each other and I've seen several face pecks. Not sure if they just got pecked in the eye or possibly something else? One other chicks eye looked watery yesterday but today it's back to normal and none of the other 15 have any signs of it. No other symptoms other than the eyelid looks red and the eye is watery. I've been using Neosporin twice a day since yesterday and one is looking better. Any ideas??
[/IMG][/IMG]

not sure if it makes a difference but all 3 appear to be cockerels so I don't know if they would be picked on more so? I'm still somewhat new to raising young chicks. Any help is appreciated!

I had three chicks with this a few weeks ago. I think it was associated with a cold. I started them on some antibiotics and after about a week it was cleared up.

I've been putting acv in their water and also vitamin supplements. I don't know of an antibiotic to use other than putting neo on the eye. Thank you for the responses! I'm hoping it's just from pecking!

Back
Top Bottom