young chicks with eye injury/illness???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lilslinkfarm, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    I noticed 3 days ago one of my 5 week old chicks was keeping one eye closed and then the next day 2 more were. They are at the age that they've started pecking at each other and I've seen several face pecks. Not sure if they just got pecked in the eye or possibly something else? One other chicks eye looked watery yesterday but today it's back to normal and none of the other 15 have any signs of it. No other symptoms other than the eyelid looks red and the eye is watery. I've been using Neosporin twice a day since yesterday and one is looking better. Any ideas??[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not sure if it makes a difference but all 3 appear to be cockerels so I don't know if they would be picked on more so? I'm still somewhat new to raising young chicks. Any help is appreciated!

2. Lilslinkfarm

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    Also, should I separate them from the others? I don't want 18 sick chicks if this is something illness related

3. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My 12 day old chicks poke each other in the eye when they r stressed so try an leave them to clam down for awhile an the eye pecking should slow down but probably not stop but decrease

4. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keep the ones pecking other chickens away from non injured eye chickens

5. fingbob

fingbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2013
    Astoria, Oregon
    I had three chicks with this a few weeks ago. I think it was associated with a cold. I started them on some antibiotics and after about a week it was cleared up.

6. Lilslinkfarm

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    I've been putting acv in their water and also vitamin supplements. I don't know of an antibiotic to use other than putting neo on the eye. Thank you for the responses! I'm hoping it's just from pecking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by