Young hen with swollen eye, lathargic and beathing heavily

FringeLore

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012

I have a 4-month Dominique hen that has had a swollen area just in front of her eye. It started about two weeks ago and looked like a bug bite or a cut. She was eating and running around like normal so I just monitored it. The last day it has swollen more and the skin around it and even her beak seem yellow-ish. Her breathing has become labored and she is very lathargic. Her other eye seems fine.

I dont see any puss or discharge and there are no open wounds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Julie

Last edited:
She really has a swollen sinus. You are probably dealing with a respiratory disease. Look inside her mouth just to make sure there is nothing abnormal growing inside. Does she have any bubbles in her eyes? Does her face smell very bad? She may need an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 which can be given 1/2 to 3/4 ml either orally or as a shot into the breast for 3-5 days, or erythromycin (Gallimycin). Here is info on some of the diseases which can be bacterial or viral: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks for the reply. She doesn't have any bubbles around her eye, no oozing or any other kind of seepage. There is no smell. I'll check her mouth... We're planning to pick up some Tylan 50 today and hopefully that will help.

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies and comments. I'm sad to say that our hen passed although I fear it may have been because of the injections (or how they were administored) and I'd like some feedback to see if I can piece together what happened. We are shocked and saddened for sure.

She was on her second day of antibiotic shots (norocillin) and seemed to be perking up, eating, drinking, pooping. We went tonight to give her a shot; I ensured no air in the needle, found her left breast and ensured it was breast muscle. I administored the shot gently but got a little resistance when trying to plung. I pressed a little harder but not really hard, and it went in. It was only about 30-60 seconds later that she coughed and then started to flap around, throw her head back and then had passed within about a minute. I can't quite figure it out...did I hit a vein? A major organ? I'm devastated that not only did she pass but it may have been at my hand. I want to learn what I did wrong in case I find myself in a position where I need to do it with another chicken at some point.

My husband is suggesting that perhaps it was stress or perhaps she wasn't improving as much as we thought but because of the swiftness of the event, it really makes me think it was the injection.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Julie

Sorry for your loss... Norocillin is has procaine in it and can cause procaine toxicity and should be "used cautiously in small birds" according to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom