Young hens eating a ton!

jdleston

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Glen Ellyn, IL
Happy fall weather in Chicagoland - about 38 degrees this morning. It's CHILLY. I have 3 hens and a roo, 13 weeks old. They are eating A LOT. I am refilling their feeder twice a day (just the mason jar size). Is this normal for this time a year? Should I/could I give them anything more to get them winter ready? Thanks!

Happy fall weather in Chicagoland - about 38 degrees this morning. It's CHILLY. I have 3 hens and a roo, 13 weeks old. They are eating A LOT. I am refilling their feeder twice a day (just the mason jar size). Is this normal for this time a year? Should I/could I give them anything more to get them winter ready? Thanks!
Okay, so your little flock is around 3 months old...they aren't little fuzzy-butts any more and naturally will eat more feed. If you are feeding them in those little mason jar feeder things I'm sure you ARE refilling twice a day. Have you decided what you're going to use for a feeder setup out in the coop and run yet?

I guess I just wasn't thinking how much they could eat. All of a sudden, like in two weeks they just began eating so much more. I have a larger feeder saved on amazon I will get :)

Okay, so your little flock is around 3 months old...they aren't little fuzzy-butts any more and naturally will eat more feed. If you are feeding them in those little mason jar feeder things I'm sure you ARE refilling twice a day. Have you decided what you're going to use for a feeder setup out in the coop and run yet?

Back
Top Bottom