Young Polish... Barring or silver laced? (pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BellLisamo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    So i hatched this pretty/handsome baby out a few months ago. It's grown so much, and is so cool looking. I've never had a silver laced baby so im unsure of what it should look like. This baby could have had 2 daddies. One being a silver laced rooster, or my ST barred cochin. So i'm not sure which that it is. Help me, i have an untrained eye....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

What colour was the mother?
    Looks like the father was the silver laced.
    Chicks off a barred male would be barred, & probably black. What does ST mean?

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Mom was a buff laced polish. St is standard.

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

With the mother having been laced, better lacing would be expected if the father was also laced.
    I'd forgotten, I think Polish are ER aren't they? Perhaps that is barring on some of the wing feathers???

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:i dont know what ER means..... sorry! LOL. im new to this whole genetics/colors thing... lol

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Laced birds in their first set of feathers look a total mess! When they start to get adult feathers, they are properly laced.....

[​IMG]
    Notice the lower feathers are still splotchy but the neck and head feathers are starting to come in with the proper lacing pattern.

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oh!!!!! ok! well that would be fantastic. my SL polish was coyote bait, so if this is his offspring (and a roo) i would be soooo happy!

thanks for that picture!!!! [​IMG]

8. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Oh, and does the baby have feathered legs? I would guess that if the dad was a cochin there would be some leg feathering. I could be totally wrong, but isn't leg feathering dominant?

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I have 3 and that sure looks like a roo to me and a SL too!

10. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:He doesnt have feathered feet. I dont know if its dominant? Seems like ive hatched babies from the cochin with no feather legs... hmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: