Young Pullets Behavior

chickennewbymom

Hatching
Mar 16, 2015
Hello,

I am a brand new chicken mom. I have been searching these forums but cannot find the answer to my question so if this is a repeat of another thread I apologize.

We just finished our coop (3' x 7' x4') and run (10' x 10' x 7') and went to our local feed store for our new chickens. They are roughly 3-4 months old. When we first got them we immediately put them in the coop and let them hang out in there until the next morning.

Within the first 48 hours we have noticed a few strange behaviors:

1. one of them will not leave the coop! She has only left 2 times and that was with me pushing her out. I noticed the first time that they all seemed to pick on her. But the second time they did not. However she went right back into the coop and does not want to leave.

2. They do not use the roost. Its a standard closet rod. Do they need a ladder to get to it?

3. They will only leave the coop if I come outside and stand/sit/work next to it. As soon as I walk away they go back inside.

Also do they need nesting boxes right away? I read that they don't but just curious.

Thank you for your time! I love this site :)

Hello,

I am a brand new chicken mom. I have been searching these forums but cannot find the answer to my question so if this is a repeat of another thread I apologize.

We just finished our coop (3' x 7' x4') and run (10' x 10' x 7') and went to our local feed store for our new chickens. They are roughly 3-4 months old. When we first got them we immediately put them in the coop and let them hang out in there until the next morning.

Within the first 48 hours we have noticed a few strange behaviors:

1. one of them will not leave the coop! She has only left 2 times and that was with me pushing her out. I noticed the first time that they all seemed to pick on her. But the second time they did not. However she went right back into the coop and does not want to leave.

2. They do not use the roost. Its a standard closet rod. Do they need a ladder to get to it?

3. They will only leave the coop if I come outside and stand/sit/work next to it. As soon as I walk away they go back inside.

Also do they need nesting boxes right away? I read that they don't but just curious.

Thank you for your time! I love this site :)

Are they Australorps?

They will get used to all of the things you are worried about. You will need to keep showing them what to do for a while but they will figure it out.

You should get the nest boxes installed though. Some breeds start laying at 18 weeks old and it sounds like you will have to help them figure out laying eggs too...

To be completely honest I have no idea what they are. He told us but I cant remember :/ I know one of them is a RIR. They are beautiful!! I will try to post pictures soon.

We have 3 of the darker with the golden around the neck, 1 with the golden head, and 1 RIR and...

This little lady who doesnt want to come out (sorry for the horrible pic she is camera shy)

We have 3 of the darker with the golden around the neck, 1 with the golden head, and 1 RIR and... This little lady who doesnt want to come out (sorry for the horrible pic she is camera shy)
The black ones with good around their necks are Black Sex links. They will give you 300 plus brown eggs their first 2 years. The red one is s Production Red, a hatchery RIR or NH that was meant for egg laying.

Is that the roost bar I'm seeing in the photo? If so, it looks like it is mounted really close to another board and/or the wall. You want the roost bar to be at least 12" from any walls. Also, you won't want your feeders, waterers or nest boxes to be under the roost bars. Sometimes a squared roost bar is more comfortable for them than a perfectly round one. I typically use a 2x2 or 2x4 with the edges sanded for comfort.

Based on comb condition, it looks like they're at least a month away from laying, so you have a little time on the nest boxes.

Last edited:
That picture doesn't show the roost bar very well. its not that close. yeah i didnt hear about that until it was already installed. The food and water was only in the coop for the first 48 hours to get them used to the coop, then they were moved outside. thanks, i think we will put them in this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom