Young pullets & New flock raiser!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SliceOHeaven, Nov 13, 2013.

1. SliceOHeaven

SliceOHeaven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    I'm sure this has been asked hundreds of times: My flock of pullets are 18 weeks. Of course I'm like
    and expectant grandmother waiting breathlessly for the first egg. At this point, I feed the "start to finish" crumbles,
    some scratch and just introduced layer pellets. They seem to be waiting however for the treats.. pumpkins, pomegranates,
    and zucchini I offer daily. They don't finish any of the "grain" feed. Are they getting enough nutrients to lay? Will they be
    slowed down by the shortened days and cooler weather? Am I over feeding? YIKES!

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    The shortened days (sunlight) will slow them up, yes.

Not the cooler weather.

Yes, enough nutrients to lay.

Once all are laying, then feed a layer ration or even better, offer crushed oyster shell as free choice.

3. SliceOHeaven

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks! So, in general, if they begin laying at around 20 weeks, (so I've heard)... then it might take an extra month or so?
    What can I expect, all else being sufficient?
    Shelley in Nor. Calif.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I'd say 26 weeks is more realistic, and I wouldn't feed them layer pellets before the first eggs
    Flock raiser is fine as a layer feed if you just add Oster Shell

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You are doing fine. Let them eat their feed free-choice instead of limiting it as you would a dog or cat. Be careful how many treats you give them--they only eat about 1/3 lb. a day of feed, so if they gorge on pumpkin they'll throw their nutrient balance out of whack. Scratch is pretty much the same as a candy bar to chickens, nutritionally--be careful how much you feed.

I agree, don't feed layer ration until you see that first egg. Then, switch everyone over. You can also feed flock raiser with oyster shell fed free-choice. More protein will increase the size of your eggs, so that's a choice for you to make.

6. SliceOHeaven

Jul 18, 2013
    Wow..all of that is great info. I think I've been over feeding the fruits and veggies..Thanks..and like everyone else.. I'll just be patient!!
    Shelley in Herald CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by