Young pullets & New flock raiser!

SliceOHeaven

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
I'm sure this has been asked hundreds of times: My flock of pullets are 18 weeks. Of course I'm like
and expectant grandmother waiting breathlessly for the first egg. At this point, I feed the "start to finish" crumbles,
some scratch and just introduced layer pellets. They seem to be waiting however for the treats.. pumpkins, pomegranates,
and zucchini I offer daily. They don't finish any of the "grain" feed. Are they getting enough nutrients to lay? Will they be
slowed down by the shortened days and cooler weather? Am I over feeding? YIKES!

The shortened days (sunlight) will slow them up, yes.

Not the cooler weather.

Yes, enough nutrients to lay.

Once all are laying, then feed a layer ration or even better, offer crushed oyster shell as free choice.

Thanks! So, in general, if they begin laying at around 20 weeks, (so I've heard)... then it might take an extra month or so?
What can I expect, all else being sufficient?
Shelley in Nor. Calif.

Quote: I'd say 26 weeks is more realistic, and I wouldn't feed them layer pellets before the first eggs
Flock raiser is fine as a layer feed if you just add Oster Shell

You are doing fine. Let them eat their feed free-choice instead of limiting it as you would a dog or cat. Be careful how many treats you give them--they only eat about 1/3 lb. a day of feed, so if they gorge on pumpkin they'll throw their nutrient balance out of whack. Scratch is pretty much the same as a candy bar to chickens, nutritionally--be careful how much you feed.

I agree, don't feed layer ration until you see that first egg. Then, switch everyone over. You can also feed flock raiser with oyster shell fed free-choice. More protein will increase the size of your eggs, so that's a choice for you to make.

Wow..all of that is great info. I think I've been over feeding the fruits and veggies..Thanks..and like everyone else.. I'll just be patient!!
Shelley in Herald CA

Back
Top Bottom