Young Quail Serious Leg Injury

HomesickQuail

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
St.petersburg fl
Please read ALL: ok so flock of 10, my three week old quail lodged herself between the hutch and the cage door somehow, her leg was stuck and she was upside down on her back, she could have been there for an hour or a full night. She is alive and eating drinking and chirping like everyone else... but her left leg is like useless.
Symptoms: she can kick with it but when she's nesting, her foot sits curled behind her while her good foot sits forward. Her good leg has soft pink skin like a normal quail but her other "bad" leg is purple down to where her feathers stop. She cant seem to outstretch her toes and when she steps forward she falls over catching her self on her wing tip. Her leg doesn't seem broken she doesn't cry when I touch it or move her to and from the food dish. I just put her down for the night in an isolated area in my room so I can watch her.

Im considering having her put down...

She very much wont walk on it. Should I just put her down. A cast seems like it wont do anything on such a small quai. Please help. Do you think her hips broken or any ideas or solutions...
so sad

I wish I knew more about bird first aide... I agree the emergency threads have stories of some amazing recoveries. I'm sure you will find help or advice there.
Hope you find the answers you need!!! Good luck

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining us
frow.gif

I had something like that happen to one of my chicks a couple of weeks ago and I just put it aside in another cage
and let it heal and now it is running around the yard with the rest of the chicks
smile.png

They are more resultant then you are giving them credit for
jumpy.gif

gander007
old.gif

Being trapped in that position for so long must have cut off circulation to her leg. Chickens have survived with one leg, I would imagine quail could to. Unless normal color and warmth return to her leg, she would likely need an amputation.

Back
Top Bottom