Young roosters challanging me?

I have lovely roosters, who don't ever challenge me, or any human. Your boys sound like that crock pot should be in their future!
Nobody who flies at my head should have a second chance at it! They are young, and will only get worse, IMO. Beekissed's article is excellent, if you want to try to work with one or both of them.
Good luck!
Mary

My young Roo has challenged me twice, both times he was attempting to defend a pullet I was fooling with. She squawked and he came running. I have a wide plastic rake and keep it when I am in the chicken yard. After I gave him a swift hard push with the rake ( his second challenge ) he now gives me wide space. He is a big meat bird and can’t really fly.... so it will be a ground attack only.... I don’t let him too close and make him move when I enter or leave. Last several weeks he has seemed to be cautious of me and waits to be allowed to come eat with pullets when I feed them. I think some are able to learn respect and recognize your dominance. He is a good flock leader and gentle with the pullets. Some are just mean.... and if he turns mean he will be gumbo!

I spent some time with them this morning. I did notice when the hens come close to me they really perk up and start watching me. They never made a move but did walk close to me always keeping their side to me. Never got close enough for me to grab them.

I don't think that spending time and effort trying to catch them is very useful. It's better to work on behavior modification another way instead. Walk 'through' them and make them move away, not get closer. Carry a stick, or bucket, or something, to extend your reach too. And read beekissed's recommendations!
Mary

I spent some time with them this morning. I did notice when the hens come close to me they really perk up and start watching me. They never made a move but did walk close to me always keeping their side to me. Never got close enough for me to grab them.
Sides are good. So is wing flapping. Standing square is what you don't want to see. At this point I wouldn't give them your back, that's probably what they are waiting for. You should stand square, and up right, and have confident, and they may decide they should behave.

Back
Top Bottom