Young Tom and roosters??

TMNfarm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Northern MN
I got a 7 month old Tom about a month ago. He came from a place with a decent size flock, and now he is alone. He doesn't seem very happy about it. I am planning on getting some hatching eggs and hatching out a couple of girlfriends for him, but I don't even have the eggs yet.

I also have 4 young roosters that my broody (chicken) hen hatched in November. They are pretty precocious young men and are more than happy to perform their roosterly duties with my hens. I have them in with my 11 layers right now, and the 4 of them are just too much. My hens are starting to look pretty beat up. I had to take the broody that raised them out of the coop and put her with a batch of younger chicks. She was smushing herself in between the wall studs and the wall of the coop to get away from them!

This is my first experience with a Tom, so I don't know if this would work or not, but it would seem that my Tom needs some company, and my roos need a bachelor pad... Could I put the roosters in with the Tom, or would he kill them??

I have them listed on Craigslist right now, but I really need to do something with them until I find them a new home...

Tough call.

our turkey HENS chase our rooster, not the toms. the toms are too busy showing off. no way to know without trying. might have to try one first, then add others and WATCH. be prepared to separate them if a problem begins.

of course you might be able to put them beside each other to see if they show signs of fighting.

be careful

RobertH

I raised two BBB turkey hens last summer that free ranged with my chickens but had their own coop. They never hassled the chickens at all... I'm going to try it today while I am home... Wish me luck!

So far, so good... The Tom doesn't seem to care at all. In fact, he seems a bit cautious of them. One of the young roos had decided a few weeks ago that he wanted to live with the NYD chicks instead of with the flock. I tried to move him out there with the others, but he and one of his brothers kept fighting, so I put him back with the NYD chicks... I hope I find homes for these guys... Anyone need a rooster??

So far, so good... The Tom doesn't seem to care at all. In fact, he seems a bit cautious of them. One of the young roos had decided a few weeks ago that he wanted to live with the NYD chicks instead of with the flock. I tried to move him out there with the others, but he and one of his brothers kept fighting, so I put him back with the NYD chicks... I hope I find homes for these guys... Anyone need a rooster??
hope they stay civil (until they have a new home)

RobertH

I have a little cross bred feathered legged roo we call Feathers, he is about half the size of our Full Americuana Roo Doc....There is nothing funnier than that lil fellow chasing Tommy our 10 month old Turkey around the farm...It's like watching a chihuahua chasing a St. Bernard!!

Tough call.

our turkey HENS chase our rooster, not the toms.  the toms are too busy showing off.  no way to know without trying.  might have to try one first, then add others and WATCH.  be prepared to separate them if  a problem begins. 

of course you might be able to put them beside each other to see if they show signs of fighting.

be careful

RobertH

Same here. x2

They are all still doing fine together. No fights. I'll have to try to get a picture of them all together on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom