Your 2024 Garden

Pics
I was lucky and gifted 2 water bath canners, and we bought a pressure canner last year. Tested out some different things. Pickles were too soft, so have to find a better way to make them. Sauce, applesauce, beans, and chicken soup came out great. Beets had no flavor (I did not pickle them, just made them regular). Pickled red onions are a new favorite. May try carrots this year. More beans, less beets (maybe pickled this time).
This is the recipe I have used for many years for pickled beets. Start by washing and trimming the leaves {cook the washed tops if you like greens, they are very good for you}. Cook until the beets are done but firm. {time depends on how big the beets are}. Reserve 2 cups of the liquid you cooked them in.
In a large pot combine 2 cups white vinegar {not apple cider}, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups beet juice, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves {may use less its pretty strong}.
Bring to a hard boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Fill canning jars leaving 1 inch head space and process according to your canner directions. My canner says 5 minutes at 5 pounds of pressure. I triple this recipe to make 7 quarts.
7 quarts uses about 5 to 10 pounds of beets. 36 small ones 15 large ones.

This is the recipe I have used for many years for pickled beets. Start by washing and trimming the leaves {cook the washed tops if you like greens, they are very good for you}. Cook until the beets are done but firm. {time depends on how big the beets are}. Reserve 2 cups of the liquid you cooked them in.
In a large pot combine 2 cups white vinegar {not apple cider}, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups beet juice, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves {may use less its pretty strong}.
Bring to a hard boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Fill canning jars leaving 1 inch head space and process according to your canner directions. My canner says 5 minutes at 5 pounds of pressure. I triple this recipe to make 7 quarts.
7 quarts uses about 5 to 10 pounds of beets. 36 small ones 15 large ones.
Thank you! This is water canner, not pressure, right?

"And thanks to the vinegar in pickled beets, you can use either a plain open water bath pot or a Pressure Canner (which will also let you can low acid vegetables!)"

Found by googling, "Do pickled beets need to be pressure canned."

The vinegar is the reason they can be waterbath canned. It lowers the pH.

I was lucky and gifted 2 water bath canners, and we bought a pressure canner last year. Tested out some different things. Pickles were too soft, so have to find a better way to make them. Sauce, applesauce, beans, and chicken soup came out great. Beets had no flavor (I did not pickle them, just made them regular). Pickled red onions are a new favorite. May try carrots this year. More beans, less beets (maybe pickled this time).
We are putting red onion sets in the ground if weather permits tomorrow. Never had pickled red onions before but I bet they are good and am anxious to try some.

Back
Top Bottom