Your best broody hen is a ?????

nutz4critters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
NW Alabama
I was wondering with what breed you had the best luck getting a good broody hen.
hu.gif

I've read several places that Silkies are great broodies, but the ones we used to have must have dropped out of brood school. They were dumber than dirt, too. To be fair, we got them "locally" and there could have been a lot of inbreeding, I guess.

I've got three young pair of bantams (two are Wyandottes and one is a Rock) but am looking to get some standard varieties later this spring or early summer. Don't know that I'll *need* a brood hen, but it is something to consider for future reference.

All advice greatly appreciated!
Mary

I have an EE who will NEVER stop brooding. I can hardly remember what she looks like off her nest. She's pretty much the mother of every single bird my extended family and my immediate family own, because every egg finds its way under her.

My bantam partridge cochin, Tina. Not only does she go broody, she is a great mother and will adopt chicks if you just put them in there with her.
I have two silkies that will go broody, but both of them either don't commit or they try to kill what they hatch.
hu.gif

All three of them are broody now... I have a lot of "kicking off nests" to do!!!
barnie.gif

My Amerucana is best for me first hatch was dec/jan and just hatched 10 more, got 5 chicks from tractor supply put them close to her, and she is defending them like she hatched them herself, 15 dont fit real good under her, but she tries.

Back
Top Bottom