Your Chicken's 1st Experience with Snow!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CK Chickadilly, Nov 17, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well we had about an inch of snow covering the chicken run this morning (& more is falling). When I went to let my Silkcos (Silkie/Cochins) out, they stood in the doorway of their cage & stretched their necks w-a-y out [​IMG] they looked to the right, they looked to the left & then just sat there thinking....what the heck is that white stuff? [​IMG]

Finally one of the roos decided to go 1st. He flew out to the run but he thought, oh no! I can't touch the ground! He tried landing in the chain link fence but realized he couldn't do that so he dropped to the ground & stood there looking at his feet. [​IMG] Once he realized it was ok, he took off scratching for food.

When the others saw he made it, a few more tried, then my last one finally got the courage up & took off but landed on a cement block that was stood upright & she sat there for about 15 minutes. Once I brought out their morning treats, she hopped down & never thought twice about the snow again. [​IMG]

It was very funny to watch their 1st reaction to snow.

Anyone else have any funny stories about snow & their chickens?

2. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    My chickens got their first feel of snow this weekend. They stayed outside and danced around.lol They are funny to watch.

3. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    we got about an inch on october 11th. they just walked outside, looked at the ground, and went about their daily business. they acted like some old experienced ladies. goofballs.

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Apparently the snow that falls in Missouri eats chickens. Mine are SCARED TO DEATH of it. They will not venture out in it for nothing. They will stand in the pop door and look at it and if one gets pushed by the others trying to get a peek they fly to the fence and hang on until they can't any longer or fly to the day roost and then fly back to the pop door when the coast is clear.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I was cleaning my coop out today and when my dad and I were almost done with the nest boxes...... WHAM!!! BLIZZARD!!! All of the birds were in the run just crowding around the door thinking "Hmm... should I stay out in the cold blizzard... or go into some unfamiliar clean wood shavings?(we bought some from the store instead of getting it from our friend's). I tried putting them back in but they just flew right out! I finally got them locked up.

Oh and they like to eat it too [​IMG]

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Brad mine are afraid of clean shavings too!! I thought my chickens were the only retarded ones. Mine actually stand in the pop door and fly to their roost, they won't touch it. By morning they forgot all about those chicken eating shavings and are happily scratching in them.

7. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I sure hope mine start dancing around in the snow because if they don't, it will be a LONG winter for them!

8. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    I wish we had snow! We have had some rain here and there but the girls just get under their tree and hang out until it stops or I decide it's too wet for them. Maybe I should take them to the snow! Anyone know how to build a "snow chicken"? LOL [​IMG]

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Well 2 feet of snow was a bit more than mine could comprehend.
    1/2 of them were fine. They went inside the new barn where a feeder has been set up. The other half sat atop the horses. Poor horses will need an extra brushing.

10. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:OMG, I would love to see a pic of that! How hysterical! I have one nutty roo that will climb all over the goats while they are laying down, but I have never seen any on the horses & I have minis so they are lower to the ground for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by